• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Car "Walk Around?"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

psychward9

What is the name of your state? CA
I recently rented a car from Budget, declined their insurance, but did not get the pre-rental "walk around" prior to signing. When I returned the car they pointed out damages to the right side of the car, which I assume were there before I rented the car. I told the rep. this and he had me sign a paper and write that I didn't get a walk around and wasnt' responsible for the damages. I got a claim for over $1000 for the damages asking that I send in my credit card info if I acknowledged responsibility. I wrote back saying I was not responsible. They told me I was and said that if I didn't pay within 24 hours they were hiring an "outside vendor" to collect. My insurance company will pay, but I have to come up with a $500 deductible and possible increase in premiums. What should I do? Is it worth fighting?:mad:

racer72

When you can't prove the damages were there prior to you renting the car, who do you think will win?

You Are Guilty

I'm also curious how one does not "get" a walk around? Was it a LeMans start where you ran to the car, and took off right away? Did they lock you in when you got into the driver's seat?

Unfortunately, it appears you just learned a $500 lesson - always do a walk around before leaving the lot.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm also curious how one does not "get" a walk around? Was it a LeMans start where you ran to the car, and took off right away? Did they lock you in when you got into the driver's seat?

Unfortunately, it appears you just learned a $500 lesson - always do a walk around before leaving the lot.
At some airport rental car locations, you just walk out to the car and hop in...no walk-around.

You Are Guilty

At some airport rental car locations, you just walk out to the car and hop in...no walk-around.
I have rented cars in just about every major city from NY to LA, am a member of at least 3-4 Gold Club-type programs where I can just go grab a car and drive off, and at all of them, nothing ever prevented me from walking around the car before leaving to check for damage. If there is, you either fill out the damage form that's in the car, or tell the gate clerk you need to fill one out. You sign, they countersign, and you don't end up paying $500 and taking an insurance hit for something the last renter did to the car.

Just because the agent doesn't do the walk around with you (or at all) doesn't mean you can't do your own.

Zigner

I have rented cars in just about every major city from NY to LA, am a member of at least 3-4 Gold Club-type programs where I can just go grab a car and drive off, and at all of them, nothing ever prevented me from walking around the car before leaving to check for damage. If there is, you either fill out the damage form that's in the car, or tell the gate clerk you need to fill one out. You sign, they countersign, and you don't end up paying $500 and taking an insurance hit for something the last renter did to the car.

Just because the agent doesn't do the walk around with you (or at all) doesn't mean you can't do your own.
This I totally agree with. All I was pointing out is that the rental agents don't always do a walk-around with you.
I would (and do) do my own "walk around" whenever I rent a car :)

BoredAtty

When you can't prove the damages were there prior to you renting the car, who do you think will win?
It's the plaintiff who must prove his case, not the defendant. Unless the rental company offers evidence that proves that the damages were not on the vehicle prior to the OP renting it, I would side with the OP if I were the fact finder in a lawsuit.

This I totally agree with. All I was pointing out is that the rental agents don't always do a walk-around with you.
I would (and do) do my own "walk around" whenever I rent a car :)
In the past when I've rented cars, the employee has always walked around the vehicle with me, and then had me sign a document which lists all damage on the vehicle. I have to admit, though, that if I weren't reminded to do that by the employee, there may be times when I'd forget and just drive away. So, I can empathize with the OP, and probably wouldn't pay this.

Zigner

It's the plaintiff who must prove his case, not the defendant. Unless the rental company offers evidence that proves that the damages were not on the vehicle prior to the OP renting it, I would side with the OP if I were the fact finder in a lawsuit.

In the past when I've rented cars, the employee has always walked around the vehicle with me, and then had me sign a document which lists all damage on the vehicle. I have to admit, though, that if I weren't reminded to do that by the employee, there may be times when I'd forget and just drive away. So, I can empathize with the OP, and probably wouldn't pay this.
So - have you ever rented at an airport location? It works a bit different there.

You Are Guilty

So - have you ever rented at an airport location? It works a bit different there.
Not all airports are the same. Some do the walk around with you in the parking space when you get the car, others do a walk around at the exit gate (if the keys are in the car when you get it), and yet others don't do any at all and (presumably) hope the individual drivers don't either.

But to be honest, until reading some of the horror stories on here years ago, I rarely, if ever, did my own walk around if one wasn't done for me. I have since learned better :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">