• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can be claimed as deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tsmommy

What is the name of your state? ky

Can I claim:

Doctor copays and deductables that I have paid off?
My minor sons medical expenses?
Copays for elective services such as a vasectomy?

Costs for making your home environmentally efficient. Such as costs for buying compact fluorescent bulbs and costs for furnace filters? (not that it amounts to much but still important). Or costs for making car more enviromentally efficient such as buying new air filters monthly.

JETX

Can I claim:

Costs for making your home environmentally efficient. Such as costs for buying compact fluorescent bulbs and costs for furnace filters? (not that it amounts to much but still important). Or costs for making car more enviromentally efficient such as buying new air filters monthly.
www.irs.gov

LdiJ

Can I claim:

If you are able to itemize (if your itemized deductions are greater than your standard deduction) then you can deduct medical expenses, including post tax medical insurance payments that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.

I think it could be argued both ways on the vasectomy. My argument would be that its deductible, just as birth control bills would be deductible, because its a procreation issue.

Fluorescent bulbs and furnace filters would not be deductible on a federal level, but some states allow deductions for those sorts of things, so check out your state law on that.

There are some energy credits available on a federal level, for new, energy efficient furnaces, water heaters, windows, exterior doors etc. They are 500.00 max lifetime allowable credits.

JETX

Yeah I looked there first and couldn't find anything on what I'm specifically talking about.
Yep.... cause they kind of make you WORK for your answers... which are very likely ALL included in what is called publication 17.
However, you want us to do YOUR work for you..... and to try to GUESS what you are really looking for.
Why not just spend a little time doing your own research.

TinkerBelleLuvr

For your medical and dental deductions:
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/index.html

Energy credits for homeowners:
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=154657,00.html

tranquility

Hi guys, back for just a bit and started looking around.

Deductions for (legal) Vasectomy are allowed. (Rev.Rul. 73-201, clarified by 73-603 and 97-8.)

The rest, what everyone else said.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">