• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being request for a tax that I don't even know

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tyanh

I lived in Rhode Island during 1993 and 1995. At that time, I owned a 89 Honda Civic which was of value $4400. They started a property tax for owned cars in 1995 right before I left RI. I was not aware of the tax at that time because the first filing for that tax was after I left. Just now, after almost six years, I received a letter from a debt collector, saying that I owe about $550.00 for the motor vehicle tax for registering the car for 226 days in 1995. Although unpleasant, I am willing to pay the tax, but my question is that the amount I owe now includes the interests accumulated for the past six years, during which period I did not even know I owe this money. I am really upset about this fact. Is there a way I can just pay the original amount?

Thanks,
A frustrated graduate student

W

wowie

I am not an attorney and not a CPA. . .

I don't know specifics about your situation, but MOST debts are not valid after 6 years. Usually that is the length of time that is considered long enough for your creditor to locate you and file a motion. I would investigate your options before paying the cash.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">