• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relocation expenses for student tax deductable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueman

What is the name of your state? MN

My wife is a full time student and recently relocated across the country to attend a new school. Are any of her relocation expenses tax deduct-able??

blueman

Thank you - I already found that publication myself on the IRS website and it was of no help. Hence my question. Your rudeness doesn't help and has no place on this forum.

TinkerBelleLuvr

WORK related moves MAY be tax-deductible. Being a student does NOT equal work in the IRS perspective. No, you may NOT deduct travel expenses of a full-time student.

abezon

Moving expenses can be deducted if the person works full time for at least 39 of the 52 weeks following the move. As a FT student, your wife will likely have a hard time meeting this requirement. Is she by chance going to be a teaching/research assistant? That usually specifies the number of hours expected. She could get a second part time job & combine the hours to meet the FT requirement of 40 hours/week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">