• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easiest way to find cost basis?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I became a land baroness yesterday! Actually, my mother-in-law transferred a portion of the family farm into my name and my husband's name a few years ago, but I just found out that my name was on it yesterday. I thought she had just transferred it into my husband's name, but I guess she decided I was a keeper, so when she did the transfer, she put my name on there too. My husband's sister got one third, and his brother got the remaining third. (Their spouses weren't added, BTW.)

I explained to my husband that it would have been better, tax-wise for all the children, if they had inherited the land once she died, but it's too late for that. I know she did it so that, if she needs long-term care, the family farm is safe. How do we figure out our cost basis in the place?

She and her husband bought the land back in about 1941, and built a house, a separate garage, and five barns/outbuildings. We got less land than the others, but we got all the buildings. I doubt she has any idea how much was spent on each building over the years.

She and Pop owned the place jointly, with rights of survivorship, and he died 15 years ago. Since she then became full owner, does that mean that the cost basis of half the farm is now what it was in 1941, and the other half is the value in 1992?

My husband asked if it would be possible to transfer it back to her name, and then let her leave it to us in the will as a way to increase our cost basis in the place. Is it too late for that option? I don't know if she'd go for that anyway. I'm willing to risk the land to pay for a good nursing home for MIL if she needs one. After all, that's my kids' Mamaw, and I want her taken care of.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I became a land baroness yesterday! Actually, my mother-in-law transferred a portion of the family farm into my name and my husband's name a few years ago, but I just found out that my name was on it yesterday. I thought she had just transferred it into my husband's name, but I guess she decided I was a keeper, so when she did the transfer, she put my name on there too. My husband's sister got one third, and his brother got the remaining third. (Their spouses weren't added, BTW.)

I explained to my husband that it would have been better, tax-wise for all the children, if they had inherited the land once she died, but it's too late for that. I know she did it so that, if she needs long-term care, the family farm is safe. How do we figure out our cost basis in the place?

She and her husband bought the land back in about 1941, and built a house, a separate garage, and five barns/outbuildings. We got less land than the others, but we got all the buildings. I doubt she has any idea how much was spent on each building over the years.

She and Pop owned the place jointly, with rights of survivorship, and he died 15 years ago. Since she then became full owner, does that mean that the cost basis of half the farm is now what it was in 1941, and the other half is the value in 1992?

My husband asked if it would be possible to transfer it back to her name, and then let her leave it to us in the will as a way to increase our cost basis in the place. Is it too late for that option? I don't know if she'd go for that anyway. I'm willing to risk the land to pay for a good nursing home for MIL if she needs one. After all, that's my kids' Mamaw, and I want her taken care of.
It would just complicate things more to put it back into her name and then inherit it. You are going to have to live with things the way that they are now. You can always sell it to pay for her nursing home if you feel that strongly about it.

In my opinion it would be wiser to go get a consult with a local tax pro on this one.

abezon

Your basis is 1/3 of her basis just before she gave you the land. Assuming the land was in a separate property state, her basis was 1/2 the fair market value when pop died plus 1/2 of whatever they paid for the land & buildings. Your best bet for finding what things were worth is old property tax assessments. You can find what she paid in the property sale information, & the various assessments will value the buildings & land separately. If there's an assessment near 1992, that would be a good indication of what the buildings & land were worth when pop died.

Assessments are just rough guides, & the county may assess only when title changes, so they may be useless. Good luck.

I disagree with LdiJ about how much hassle it would be to transfer the farm back. It would only require a quitclaim deed, but you'd want to make sure that mom's will was ironclad so that you & hubby inherited your 1/3 instead of it being split up among the 3 siblings again. See a local estate planner for help doing this.

LdiJ

Your basis is 1/3 of her basis just before she gave you the land. Assuming the land was in a separate property state, her basis was 1/2 the fair market value when pop died plus 1/2 of whatever they paid for the land & buildings. Your best bet for finding what things were worth is old property tax assessments. You can find what she paid in the property sale information, & the various assessments will value the buildings & land separately. If there's an assessment near 1992, that would be a good indication of what the buildings & land were worth when pop died.

Assessments are just rough guides, & the county may assess only when title changes, so they may be useless. Good luck.

I disagree with LdiJ about how much hassle it would be to transfer the farm back. It would only require a quitclaim deed, but you'd want to make sure that mom's will was ironclad so that you & hubby inherited your 1/3 instead of it being split up among the 3 siblings again. See a local estate planner for help doing this.
Its complicated Abezon because of gift tax issues. Its likely that the farm is worth less than 1 million but mom has already gifted it to them and may be pushing the limit on the exclusion, and they will use up part of their exclusion gifting it back.

If the farm is located in Indiana the property tax assessments won't be helpful. They absolutely were not based on fair market value until just a few years ago. They basically know what was paid for the property, and they will know the cost of anything that was done to the property since then. Its the FMV in 1992 that they need to come up with, and that's going to take some research, which is why I still advise that they see a local tax pro.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">