• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

co signer law/liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sny

What is the name of your state? wisconsin. I am a cosigner on a new car loan. How can I get (either) My name off the car note, or the other party's name off of the title?

seniorjudge

Q: How can I get (either) My name off the car note, or the other party's name off of the title?

A: Part 1 (pay the note off) and part 2 (buy the car from the other party).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? wisconsin. I am a cosigner on a new car loan. How can I get (either) My name off the car note, or the other party's name off of the title?
To get off the loan, you would have to be released by the note-holder (not gonna happen). Or, the owner could refinance. Or, the owner could pay it in full.

To get the other party's name OFF the title, the vehicle would need to be sold (or otherwise transferred).

Don't loan and don't co-sign unless you can afford to lose the money. There is a reason those other people can't get their own financing ;)

EDIT: Wow - SJ's post wasn't there when I hit "reply"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">