• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help never received title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dheffner

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I bought a car in 2001 suzuki in july. I got a loan through a bank to pay for the loan. the person i bought the car from was the co-signer on the loan. i drove the car for about 30 minutes and the engine blew. they guy told me he would pay to repair the car. i left for a trip the next day and he told me it would be sitting in my drive way when i get back with a new engine in it. i get back and the guy decided he was not going to do anything to help pay for the repair or anything. i still have not received the title to the car and his mother still needs to sign the title in order for it to be in my name. i was wondering if there was anyway i can legally default on the loan and give the car over to the bank for the collatoral and no longer have to pay for the loan. proper paper work for a car loan is to have the title in hand and signed over before the paper work is filed. the bank failed to do so. therefore the paper work was done improperly leaving me with no car and still having to make payments. do i have a legal leg to stand on?

Ozark_Sophist

That is pretty much what the statute says in Missouri http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3010000210.HTM. The problem in your case is the statute has no teeth to allow a criminal action. You could file a civil complaint and nullify the sale of the vehicle, but expect to be countersued for damaging the vehicle.

ETA: The bank is not a party to the contract, so you are still responsible until the bank gets its money back. The bank generally holds title (lein) anyway. The seller was paid, right?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">