• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Golf Club Membership-Course Closing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mwilliams20

I recently joined a Golf Club and signed a membership agreement for a 12 month period to pay dues of $200 each month. They are now planning to close the course for renovations and are offering to reduce our membership fees and offer for us to play other courses at twice the cart fee. When I do the math, it doesn't work for me. My question may seem stupid, but can they force me to go along with this new plan or is my agreement null and void due to the closure of the course? There is nothing about substitution of facilities in the agreement and it is very loose and open ended. I don't know that they will try to force me to stay, but I wondered if I can legally get out if they significantly alter the terms of the agreement.

Thanks,
Sad Golfer:(

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Of course, we're not privy to your contract...

With that said, it seems pretty reasonable to me that you should be allowed out of the contract. Making you go to a different course would be making a change to the contract that you don't agree with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">