• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need help with minor consumption question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teen18

What is the name of your state?
Minnesota
Age 18

When I was 17 (I'm now 18) I received a minor consumption in early August and received a minor while driving (not-a-drop violation) later that month. Rumor has it that when you turn 18 misdemeanors come off your record...but my dad thinks otherwise. So I have 3 questions...

1. I realize that the minor while driving remains on my record but was the minor consumption taken off? Or when a cop pulls up my file will both still show up...I'm just wondering because I'm in college now and the pressures to drink are quite high and I wanted to know if I'm on strike 1 or 2...

2. When, if ever, would the minor while driving would come off my record?

3. How much do minor consumptions on your record effect you when applying for jobs? What would be considered a high number of offenses?

Any help would be appreciated. Please don't lecture me either...I know I messed up and I have parents that do that already! :)

Last edited:

fcobarr

you don't want lectures or advice...so you're just going to keep doing what you're doing regardless of Strike 1 or 2. Don't give me that "peer pressure" crap.

So, drink away to your hearts content and deal with the consequences later! That's what will happen anyway.

Cheers.

teen18

fcobarr thanks!!

Oh wow! You're a detective! That's cute. Of course I want to keep drinking I think I made that clear...sorry if you didn't have fun in college but I think I work hard enough during the week (engineer :p) that I deserve a drink or two. I will stop drinking when I feel I've dug a hole for myself legally where it would hurt my career in the long run, that's why I ask what strike I am on. You don't need to personally attack me when I come here for legal advice...I know the consequences of drinking and I certainly don't think they warrant the current age of 21 to drink. If properly educated about enjoying in moderation and against drunk driving teens can enjoy drinking and not be hurt from it. The only reason I got the minor while driving in the first place was because I thought I was completely sober. It was at 6 AM and I blew a 0.02. I wouldn't have gotten in my car if I honestly believed I had some left in my system. I won't make that mistake again. Now if anyone wants to answer my question that doesn't enjoy chewing kids out for their own personal satisfaction I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Silverplum

Oh wow! You're a detective! That's cute. Of course I want to keep drinking I think I made that clear...sorry if you didn't have fun in college but I think I work hard enough during the week (engineer :p) that I deserve a drink or two. I will stop drinking when I feel I've dug a hole for myself legally where it would hurt my career in the long run, that's why I ask what strike I am on. You don't need to personally attack me when I come here for legal advice...I know the consequences of drinking and I certainly don't think they warrant the current age of 21 to drink. If properly educated about enjoying in moderation and against drunk driving teens can enjoy drinking and not be hurt from it. The only reason I got the minor while driving in the first place was because I thought I was completely sober. It was at 6 AM and I blew a 0.02. I wouldn't have gotten in my car if I honestly believed I had some left in my system. I won't make that mistake again. Now if anyone wants to answer my question that doesn't enjoy chewing kids out for their own personal satisfaction I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
You're too stupid for help. I'm not trying to be mean, but you're a self-declared idjit. We're not going to help you except to tell you that you're being dumb.

majomom1

What is the name of your state?
Minnesota
Age 18

When I was 17 (I'm now 18) I received a minor consumption in early August and didn't learn my lesson and received a minor while driving (not-a-drop violation) later that month. Rumor has it that when you turn 18 misdemeanors come off your record...but my dad thinks otherwise. So I have 3 questions...

1. I realize that the minor while driving remains on my record but was the minor consumption taken off? Or when a cop pulls up my file will both still show up...I'm just wondering because I'm in college now and the pressures to drink are quite high and I wanted to know if I'm on strike 1 or 2...

2. When, if ever, would the minor while driving would come off my record?

3. How much do minor consumptions on your record effect you when applying for jobs? What would be considered a high number of offenses?

Any help would be appreciated. Please don't lecture me either...I know I messed up and I have parents that do that already! :)
You are in college?!

This one is so easy... duh! DON'T DRINK... &... DRIVE!!!!

I personally don't care about your driving record... I do care about the innocent people you may hit with a car. If you cannot be your own person and stand up under peer pressure then you have far greater problems to worry about. If you intend to drink, then don't drive.

If you didn't want a lecture, then perhaps you should have not have posted on an adult message board.

What college do you go to? I want to make sure my kids don't go any where near you or any of your friends that cannot be responsible.

teen18

I'm not a bad kid...no need to attack me

1. I thought I made it clear I don't ever intend to drink and drive. That would be stupid. I make sure my friends don't do it either...I always either have a ride or a place to stay. I'm just a kid in college that wants to go out on weekends with his friends and have a couple drinks...if it is honestly going to hurt me in the future, then I won't do it. That's why I came on this message board for help.

2. I'm not going to tell you where I go to school, but let's just say if you kept your kid from going to one of the top 10 public schools in the nation I would say you are the irresponsible one.

3. All I want to know is if the first minor consumption is still on my record or not...will anyone answer this please?

majomom1

1. I thought I made it clear I don't ever intend to drink and drive. That would be stupid. I make sure my friends don't do it either...I always either have a ride or a place to stay. I'm just a kid in college that wants to go out on weekends with his friends and have a couple drinks...if it is honestly going to hurt me in the future, then I won't do it. That's why I came on this message board for help.

2. I'm not going to tell you where I go to school, but let's just say if you kept your kid from going to one of the top 10 public schools in the nation I would say you are the irresponsible one.

3. All I want to know is if the first minor consumption is still on my record or not...will anyone answer this please?
I never said you were a bad kid and I didn't attack you. You didn't make it clear that your don't intend to not drink and drive. You wrote:

1. that you intended to keep drinking because of peer pressure

2. I will stop drinking when I feel I've dug a hole for myself legally where it would hurt my career in the long run, that's why I ask what strike I am on.

3. The only reason I got the minor while driving in the first place was because I thought I was completely sober.

Do you know how many people "think" they are sober? And... if you cannot stand up under peer pressure, for drinking, then how will you stand up to peer pressure for anything else in life?

I'm just trying to point out that the responsible thing to do would be to NOT dig this hole... regardless of whether you are on strike 1 or 2...

I would be inclined to agree with your father, he has probably already confirmed this or would not have told you that. In some states misdemeanors at 17 are considered an adult action so this might very well remain on your record.

teen18

Majormom, I wasn't talking about you attacking me I was talking about the guy who called me stupid. I also never said I drink because of peer pressure...I've turned down just about every illegal drug ever offered to me. I just find alcohol to be harmless if you drink in moderation. It's not the peer pressure...it's the fun involved. Thank you happytrails for the link...although it doesn't sound like the news I was hoping for.

majomom1

Majormom, I wasn't talking about you attacking me I was talking about the guy who called me stupid. I also never said I drink because of peer pressure...I've turned down just about every illegal drug ever offered to me. I just find alcohol to be harmless if you drink in moderation. It's not the peer pressure...it's the fun involved. Thank you happytrails for the link...although it doesn't sound like the news I was hoping for.
Well I hope you found something of value in my posts. Your initial posts DID sound like you were being a little careless (stupid) to some of us...

I do understand "fun" and I am not opposed to drinking when done responsibly. You are under age, and in this day and age, fun can very easily get out of hand and cloud your judgement.

So... just keep in mind, the next strike could easily be your last...

CdwJava

A criminal offense does not just "disappear" from a person's record. They stay forever, or until a court orders them removed.

Yes, the prior is there somewhere. Whether it can be used against you or not in sentencing (as a prior) is a matter of state law.

- Carl

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This is a LEGAL message board. LEGALLY you are breaking the law and legally you would be risking your entire future -- it doesn't matter if you have one sip or one drink or a dozen. LEGALLY it is against the law.

Nope. Quite frankly you get out of college what you put into college. And you can be successful regardless of what college you attend.

Yes the first minor consumption is on your record.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Alcohol is ILLEGAL in moderation for you. You are on your way to becoming -- if you are not already -- an alcoholic.

Indiana Filer

I've turned down just about every illegal drug ever offered to me.
This statement worries me. I think you need a substance abuse or substance dependence disorder assessment. (As a probation officer, I've got lots of experience with underage drinkers and with drug users.)

majomom1

This statement worries me. I think you need a substance abuse or substance dependence disorder assessment. (As a probation officer, I've got lots of experience with underage drinkers and with drug users.)
Yes... it worried me too. Especially if it is in one of the top 10 public schools in the nation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">