• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reinvesting Capital Gains

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RogerC

Arizona. I purchased a parcel of vacant land in June 2006 and then sold it in April 2007. My profit on the sale of the land was $30,000. I paid a realtor $4000 to find the buyer. I have two questions;

1) Do I subtract the $4000 fee from the $30000 before calculating the capital gains tax?
2) I've now used most of the $26,000 to remodel the home I've lived in for 20 years. I remodeled it for the purpose of selling whcih I intend to do soon. Can I use this reinvestment of my profit to reduce the tax I have to pay on the capital gains?

abezon

1. yes, as well as any other selling costs, such as title insurance or escrow/legal fees.

2. not a chance. you add the cost of the remodel to your basis in the home when figuring how much profit you made from the home sale.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">