• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plane Ticket Transfer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vamoral

Maryland, I bought a plane ticket in the summer for my fiance. He didn't use it, now he wants to transfer it to my name. I understand that they don't want to transfer the ticket because the new seat will cost more. Therefore, I am willing to pay the difference so they will not lose any money. If the new ticket costs more and I am more than willing to pay the difference. Why won't the airline transfer the ticket to my name? What can I do, so I won't lose the money that I have already spent!?

justalayman

what does the purchase contract state as to transferability?

If it states it is non-transferable, then that is what it is. If it does not make such claim, I would argue for the transfer, without any upcharge, although there may be a charge to effect the transfer.

vamoral

Okay, so this is the other thing, when I first bought it and it was not used. An airline agent told me over the phone that I couldn't transfer it, that the person who's name was on the ticket had to do it. So, then my fiance calls to make the transfer and now they claim that it is a non-transferable ticket. Why wasn't it before and why is it now? All this time I was under the impression that it was cause that's what the agent told me.

justalayman

I reiterate:

what does the purchase contract state as to transferability?

An airline agent told me over the phone that I couldn't transfer it, that the person who's name was on the ticket had to do it. So, then my fiance calls to make the transfer and now they claim that it is a non-transferable ticket. Why wasn't it before and why is it now?
I would suggest that it was never transferable. As the ticket agent stated, the named has to make any alterations so they probable gave you the pat answer: "you can;t do this" but did not bother to actually address the transferability possibility since you are not entitled to such info.

Then when the fiance` attempted to transfer, he was given the complete answer, which apparently is, it is not transferable.

It sounds like a misunderstanding on your part due to the limited info they were allowed to give you due to you not being the named ticket holder.

vamoral

Alright, so if that's the case, can you answer this. What is the legal reason for them not being able to transfer the ticket? They will not loose money because the difference will be paid and the flight manifest is not being affected. I am just trying to understand why the system is set up the way it is. I really don't see anyone getting hurt except for the consumer.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
It's a security issue. The name on the ticket when it is purchased must be the person who uses the ticket, to facilitate the airline's control--and identification of--the passengers on the plane.

justalayman

Alright, so if that's the case, can you answer this. What is the legal reason for them not being able to transfer the ticket? .
It is not a matter of being able, it is a matter of not able to be forced to do so. If the contract states it is non-transferable, that is what you agreed to and they are simply not going to transfer the ticket. Yes, it is about money and that is why they are in business.

I would suggest writing to the main office of the airline concerned. The people you are dealing with are extremely limited by their corporate directions as to how and what they can do. I would not expect to get any different answer from the corporate level but you never know until you ask.

How about this? is the ticket refundable? If so, simply refund the ticket and buy a new one in your name. You have stated you are willing to pay whatever difference there is in the tickets.

justalayman

It's a security issue. The name on the ticket when it is purchased must be the person who uses the ticket, to facilitate the airline's control--and identification of--the passengers on the plane.

unless I am missing something, OP wants to transfer the ticket, which would then cause the manifest to list OP as passenger so your arguement is then moot.

am I missing something?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
unless I am missing something, OP wants to transfer the ticket, which would then cause the manifest to list OP as passenger so your arguement is then moot.
Which is precisely why I think their reasoning for the rule doesn't make sense.

My best guess is that certain security procedures are followed to vet the original passenger. A subsequent change would be one more step in the process, and the more complex a process, the more vulnerable it is. It’s also more costly for the airline, which is why it is possible, under some circumstances, to buy tickets that are transferable or refundable—but they’re a lot more expensive.

Of course, the ticket can still be used within one year (I think that’s the cutoff) from the date of purchase, but it will cost him a $75 to $100 transfer fee, plus the difference in the cost of the ticket. If he gets the new ticket well enough in advance, though, there’s probably going to be little to no difference in the cost. I’ve rarely had to pay more than the transfer fee. But—this is important—it used to be that if you didn’t show up for the original flight, the ticket would be flagged as unused and the one year timeline would kick in. Now, you have to actually call the airline and cancel your seat within 24 hours of departure. Make sure you get a confirmation number. If you just don’t show up, the ticket is canceled and cannot be used at a future date. I learned that one the hard way.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
You used to be able to do all kinds of tricky things to make flying easier or less expensive. Back-to-backs, for instance, would save a lot of money if you needed a round trip without a Saturday night stayover. That's why I think you don't really need the Saturday stayover anymore, so that people won't try to do that.

It's all about security these days, and a lot of it doesn't make sense to me.

vamoral

YEAH, I don't think that is true. I researched it and it's mainly a money issue. If it was an identity/security/fraud issue then it would be simply solved by doing it in person at the airline's desk. This way proof of identification is offered and the transfer would be successfull. If the flirght was for tomorrow and I request a change then it would definitely be a flight manifest issue, but that is not the case here. The flight was back in february, thus, there are not flight manifests with the name on the ticket.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Well, believe it or not it really is both a security and a cost issue. But the most important thing is what justalayman said: irrespective of anything else, the ticket is a contract and the ticket says it's nontransferrable. It really doesn't matter why. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that you can get someone to give you a break on this. It would be practically a miracle, but go for it.

vamoral

Okay, well, I have a new question. I know that it is a one year timeframe to make a reservation for the existing ticket. So, is it possible to make another reservation but this time ask for the new ticket to be refundable? Or will they just say no, that the new reservation is still going to be non-refundable/non-tranferable?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
That's a good idea! Of course, you'll have to pay the difference between a transferrable ticket and a nontransferrable ticket, but depending on the itinerary it might not be too much more expensive. Yes, they might still say no, but they might not. Go ahead and ask.

And by the way, I meant to say before that there's a third reason, which is actually the only reason that makes sense to me. It helps deter credit card fraud and people getting ripped off when they buy tickets from strangers on eBay, etc.

Also, what airline is this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">