• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandma left stuff to Dad, Dad is dead. Who gets it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shivashiva

In FLorida.

My grandma is on her deathbed, expected to pass within a few days. I have not seen her will and I don't know what it's like, but I am pretty sure I am in it, because she asked for soc sec # and stuff awhile back telling me I would get her car.

My dad died suddenly 1.5 years ago. He was in her will surely to get an equal share with his brother and sister of grandma's estate.

My question is one of succession. If her will still includes him, which I'm pretty sure it does because she has not had the mind to change it, does his share pass on to his siblings, or would it pass to HIS heirs? In other words, would I get his share? (Assuming the situation is "normal")

I'm not trying to be crass (GET MY MONEY! before she's even dead!) but I have had a hint that my aunt and uncle assume they are getting my dad's share and I just wondered about that because it didn't sound intuitively right to me.

Thanks for all help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Since you haven't seen the will, you are really in a bad spot. The will could very well have language to the effect of "All my worldly possession shall be divided equally amongst my living children".

Then again, maybe you get the car and the local cat shelter gets everything else. You really can't say.

Sit back and keep repeating to yourself "it's not my money...it's not my money". Be thankful if you DO get anything, but don't be bitter if you don't.

shivashiva

I am happy getting nothing if that is the case. I am worried about my relatives "getting stuff" that they are not supposed to. I don't know about these things. Can I ask to look at the will? I want to know what the LAWS are. I know her will may say anything. But my dad died suddenly. I'm pretty sure she willed everything to her children (no charities, i'm positive), so i'm worried about getting swindled out of something. Is that possible and what can I do?

THAT is what I am asking. Thanks for suggestions toward equanimity. :)

Best,

SHiva

Zigner

You would need to see the will. Everything now is speculation.
Again, the will *may* be very clear that items are to be distributed to offspring that have NOT predeceased her.

Wait for the will.

shivashiva

What are the laws

Can I look at the will?

How do I ask to look at the will without being pushy? In other words, why would I need to look at the will unless I thought someone was being dishonest.

I know that "everything is speculation."

I am asking what the laws are. If you do not know what the laws are, where can i find them?

What are the laws? Thank you,

shivashiva

Clt747, THank you for the link. I have looked through that, but I don't really understand the jargon so it is hard for me to find which one is applicable to me.

Zigner, I am sorry I sound crass to you. I posted twice and in neither of your answers did you answer any of my questions, so I felt I had to state them outright. I apologized for being crass in my FIRST post because I was bypassing the greiving aspects of posting, (which I feel are irrelevant to this forum. Do you really want to hear my *whole* story and how I've been crying at night?) and told you the facts about the LAW QUESTIONS I HAVE, which are what this forum is about.

As a first time poster, I feel rather rejected. If anyone has any answeres to the exact LAW questions I asked, please answer.

Again, how do I gain access LEGALLY to the will. I am in another state (from grandma). I am a granddaughter. I don't think someone is just going to serve me the will. Especially if they are trying to cheat me out of it.

Crassly,
Shiva

Zigner

Clt747, THank you for the link. I have looked through that, but I don't really understand the jargon so it is hard for me to find which one is applicable to me.

Zigner, I am sorry I sound crass to you. I posted twice and in neither of your answers did you answer any of my questions, so I felt I had to state them outright. I apologized for being crass in my FIRST post because I was bypassing the greiving aspects of posting, (which I feel are irrelevant to this forum. Do you really want to hear my *whole* story and how I've been crying at night?) and told you the facts about the LAW QUESTIONS I HAVE, which are what this forum is about.

As a first time poster, I feel rather rejected. If anyone has any answeres to the exact LAW questions I asked, please answer.

Again, how do I gain access LEGALLY to the will. I am in another state (from grandma). I am a granddaughter. I don't think someone is just going to serve me the will. Especially if they are trying to cheat me out of it.

Crassly,
Shiva
Grandma is not dead. You cannot, currently, gain access to the will. I DID tell you that earlier.
When she passes, you can ask the executor for a copy of the will.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
What he wants to know, aside from actually seeing the will, is if there is a law that governs how an estate is to be distributed in the event that one of the heirs predeceases Grandma if that contingency wasn't addressed in the will.

But shivashiva, if your grandmother had this will prepared by an attorney this issue was almost certainly covered. It's a pretty basic part of the template. So Zigner is giving you the most practical advice. Finding a law that states you're to inherit your father's share is moot. In any event, you're going to need to see the will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">