• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 yr. old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jessica5

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I have a 16 yr. old step-son who is completely out of control. He's run away again, he just ran away a little over a month ago. It's like when he doesn't get his way he runs away. He got off probation on or about Sept. 22 and ever since he's been out of control. He was on probation for a lessor charge than what it was originally. Originally it was accessory to attempted murder with theft over 500, then he had this friend lawyer who got it down to theft under 300 with him completing Youth Callenge Program and one yr. probation. So when he ran away after getting off probation I called the police and they said well everything just pretty much starts over and we'll just pick him up and bring him home. This time it's pretty much the same thing except they told my Dad, cause he ran away from there house this time, that he's almost 17 in Jan. that they really won't do anything to him. I'm just at a lost, how can a child keep running away and get away with it. He called and left a message on his dad's phone that he knows he's listed as a run-away but even if the cops bring him back he's just going to walk right out the door. His dad's just at a point of just let him go if he's so adamant about not living here. My point is he's getting exactly what he wants. He doesn't want to follow his dad's rules so I'm just going to go live with my friends and not have any rules. UUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHH

If anyone can give me any advise I would really appreciate it.

Oh and on his myspace he's got a pic of himself holding a gun and a pic of some guy he just met a week ago with 2 guns. And under his pic it says something about him not hitting with a hammer this time well that is what he did when he got in trouble and was on probation.

Last edited:

Jessica5

my goodness didn't think that was such a crime, he's 16 and doesn't have it to private. Boy I'm just asking for advise not to be criticized.

CourtClerk

And you are not his parent, and you don't have the option of deciding whether or not his myspace page is up for the world to see. That again, is a parenting decision and just because it's not private doesn't mean that you have the authority to post it for the world to see. That a 16 year old does it is one thing... that you an (i'm going to guess) adult does it (and thinks it's ok) is a different story all together.

Jessica5

you know you are not giving me any advise, I came here for advise. Yes I guess that wasn't the best decision to put up the link, people make mistakes and do stupid things sometimes. I'm just at a loss at what to do and your not helping. You told me that it wasn't a good idea to have the link up there and you were right, but to start being mean is not what i asked for. And no I'm not his parent but have been more of a parent to him than his own mother and care what happens to him. His own dad is fed up with him at least I'm concerned.

CourtClerk

Well, legally (that's what you're looking for)... you have no relationship to this child. You cannot enter him into medical treatment. Since you are not his parent, you cannot enter him into psychological treatment since you are not his parent. You basically can't do anything. However, if you believe he needs intervention, I would suggest you call CPS and have them do an investigation.

majomom1

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I have a 16 yr. old step-son who is completely out of control. He's run away again, he just ran away a little over a month ago. It's like when he doesn't get his way he runs away. He got off probation on or about Sept. 22 and ever since he's been out of control. He was on probation for a lessor charge than what it was originally. Originally it was accessory to attempted murder with theft over 500, then he had this friend lawyer who got it down to theft under 300 with him completing Youth Callenge Program and one yr. probation. So when he ran away after getting off probation I called the police and they said well everything just pretty much starts over and we'll just pick him up and bring him home. This time it's pretty much the same thing except they told my Dad, cause he ran away from there house this time, that he's almost 17 in Jan. that they really won't do anything to him. I'm just at a lost, how can a child keep running away and get away with it. He called and left a message on his dad's phone that he knows he's listed as a run-away but even if the cops bring him back he's just going to walk right out the door. His dad's just at a point of just let him go if he's so adamant about not living here. My point is he's getting exactly what he wants. He doesn't want to follow his dad's rules so I'm just going to go live with my friends and not have any rules. UUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHH

If anyone can give me any advise I would really appreciate it.

Oh and on his myspace he's got a pic of himself holding a gun and a pic of some guy he just met a week ago with 2 guns. And under his pic it says something about him not hitting with a hammer this time well that is what he did when he got in trouble and was on probation.
Are you a step parent... or a sibling?

What "friend lawyer" got accessory to attempted murder with theft over 500, down to theft under 300 with him completing Youth Callenge Program and one yr. probation. Did he go to the Youth Challenge Program?

That charge... combined with his MySpace... I would be asking the cops to pick him up and put him in jail... OR in some type of institution!

After January he will go to jail, hopefully before he actually kills someone... but Dad could still be held liable for anything this boy does.

majomom1

Well, legally (that's what you're looking for)... you have no relationship to this child. You cannot enter him into medical treatment. Since you are not his parent, you cannot enter him into psychological treatment since you are not his parent. You basically can't do anything. However, if you believe he needs intervention, I would suggest you call CPS and have them do an investigation.
CC... I'm not sure this is a step parent. This seems to be a sibling (IMO), or the actual 16yo himself?????

pretty much the same thing except they told my Dad, cause he ran away from there house this time, that he's almost 17 in Jan. that they really won't do anything to him.

CourtClerk

pretty much the same thing except they told my Dad, cause he ran away from there house this time, that he's almost 17 in Jan. that they really won't do anything to him.
Perhaps the child went to live with the in-laws???? :confused:
I'm done with this thread until we can get some clarification.

Jessica5

Thank You Majomom, I am a step parent and he had this friend he knew from school that the lawyer lived across the street from. So he talked to this guy from his myspace and he lied about not knowing anything about what was going on when he went on his little drug run gone bad. Told everyone he didn't hit the guy with a hammer. So of course everyone is thinking poor you, your a 15 yr. old that just was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Along with me thinking the same thing.

Yes he did complete the YCP program, but I just don't see that it helped him.

That is why I told him he needs to be reported as a run away so if he does something bad it wouldn't come back on his dad. But I guess it really doesn't matter does it.

No CourtClerk I'm not his legal parent but if I got some legal advise on what to do I would talk to his dad about the situation and see what "we" could do about it.

Jessica5

No my mom and dad said they will not take on responsibility of raising someone else's child cause it's not their responsibility.

majomom1

No my mom and dad said they will not take on responsibility of raising someone else's child cause it's not their responsibility.
Ok.. wait. We cannot read your mind and when you switch gears in mid paragraph it is hard to follow. Your step son was staying with YOUR mom and dad, the last time he ran away?

Dad needs to get control of his son. Either call the cops and have him arrested, admit him to some type of mental facility OR... sit on him for a few days. First I would find those guns and the hammer! Accessory to attempted murder? And you now know that he lied about it? Step up, SM and get dad to make his son tell the truth.

Dad also needs to be talking to a real lawyer and finding out what he could be liable for with regard to his son's recent behavior and actions.

That is not legal advice, it is just from a parent. I would also be finding out what "lawyer" gave my kid legal advice on myspace... AND cutting off access to the friend across the street.

majomom1

Thank You Majomom, I am a step parent and he had this friend he knew from school that the lawyer lived across the street from. So he talked to this guy from his myspace and he lied about not knowing anything about what was going on when he went on his little drug run gone bad. Told everyone he didn't hit the guy with a hammer. So of course everyone is thinking poor you, your a 15 yr. old that just was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Along with me thinking the same thing.

Yes he did complete the YCP program, but I just don't see that it helped him.

That is why I told him he needs to be reported as a run away so if he does something bad it wouldn't come back on his dad. But I guess it really doesn't matter does it.
No CourtClerk I'm not his legal parent but if I got some legal advise on what to do I would talk to his dad about the situation and see what "we" could do about it.
It will come back on Dad... no matter what.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">