• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank charging insurance on auto loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cjoseph

I now live in Maryland,

I'm in the Navy and while stationed in Pensacola Fl in 1995 I purchased a used truck from a locale dealership there the financing was done through a bank. In Dec of 2000 I received a notice of last payment due of over $3,000.00. When I inquired to the amount due I was told that I was being charged for 8 months worth of insurance from the day I bought the vehicle 04/25/95 until Dec of that year plus interest. I was told that if I could produce paper work proving that I had insurance that it would be dropped. I asked if they could prove that I did not have insurance and they said no but my insurance co. was suposed to contact them about any changes in my policy. So basicly the company either did not call or if they did it could have been as simple as them giving the VIN with one number or letter like O and 0 etc. In Dec of that year is when I happened to change insurance co. and thats when they show records of my coverage. I tried to contact the business that I was buying my insurance from before that and they appear to have gone out of business. Since I'm in the Military and have transferd twice since then I have been forced to change insurance companys. While in contact with the bank I asked them, if I didnt have insurance how could they ever have financed me in the first place. I should never have been able to leave the dealership. The person I was dealing with at that point ordered a copy of the contract to try to find out the name of the insurance co. and see what they could do. I was told after they received it that no insurance info was recorded on the contract and that it was not supposed to have been prossed with out. I also stated that being in the Navy I would never have been able to drive to work because its a requirement for driving on any Navy base. They still demand that I pay. At this point I do not know what to do!

ALawyer

Go to the JAG office and get some advice. This is undoubtedly not the first time it has happened to a navy man.

And fight like hell -- complain to the FL state banking department, look at your checks from back then, contact the state insurance department to find out what happened to the insurance broker, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">