• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

item warranty not valid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amoeba-meba

What is the name of your state? Illinois.

I recently bought a computer over the internet from Mac Of All Trades, a refurbrisher located in Florida. They came highly recommended to me by friends. The Macbook Pro computer was advertised as having an Applecare warranty until May 11, 2008. The company's warranty was 30 days and their web site states that all sales are final. After purchasing the computer the superdrive stopped working. I took it to the Apple store where they looked up the serial number and told me that the Applecare warranty had expired. Mac Of All Trades has offered to fix the drive since it is still within 30 days of receiving the computer.

The item was not as advertised since it didn't have the Applecare warranty.
Do I have a legal case to force them to give me my money back?

Thanks in advance for any advice!What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do I have a legal case to force them to give me my money back?
No, but you MIGHT have a case for forcing them to repair anything that goes wrong between the expiration of their 30 day warrant and the advertised expiration of the Applecare warranty.

amoeba-meba

item warranty

Thank you for your timely response! This is a great service.

Would getting an agreement over email be legally binding? If I can get them to agree to extend their warranty to me until the date the Applecare would have expired, would an email be sufficient?

Thanks again!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for your timely response! This is a great service.

Would getting an agreement over email be legally binding? If I can get them to agree to extend their warranty to me until the date the Applecare would have expired, would an email be sufficient?

Thanks again!
I'd have to answer that with a "probably". Personally, I'd ask them to send something in writing (you know, ink on paper ;) )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">