• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan sales tax to Canada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sheetzakiss

I am a canadian citizen and bought a vehicle in michigan. I am bringing the vehicle to canada and registering title here. I had to pay 6% sales tax to Michigan.
Can I get that tax back? How would I procede?

LdiJ

I am a canadian citizen and bought a vehicle in michigan. I am bringing the vehicle to canada and registering title here. I had to pay 6% sales tax to Michigan.
Can I get that tax back? How would I procede?
I am not aware of any proceedure by which you could get a refund of the sales tax. Our state sales taxes are not similar to the VAT taxes in Europe and other countries that can be refunded to foreign nationals taking the goods outside of the country of origin.

efflandt

Sales tax for a vehicle purchased in the states is based on where you take delivery, and in some cases (especially if higher) also where you register it (usually minus credit for sales tax paid where you bought it). But there is no sales tax refund if you register it where sales tax is lower or does not apply. So there is no sales tax refund for taking the vehicle out of state (or out of country).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">