• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does the court have jurisdiction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bremmerd

What is the name of your state? Hawaii
Can I be sued in Wisconsin if I live in Hawaii, and havent lived in Wisconsin for many years, and the plaintiff didnt live in either state at the time. I am to be in court in 3 weeks and dont know how to contest the jurisdiction if im even able to.
I got a envelope delivered to me today, not actually to me, but left with my general manager.
In it was a summons to court in Wisconsin for dec 18. I guess I am being sued by someone who gave me money about 4 years ago. He wrote me a check while he was on a boat in the Marines from singapore, from a california bank. I was living in Wisconsin at the time, and signed a paper stating that i would pay him back, even though I have emails from him saying "dont worry about the money, just take care of your stuff" and other things like that, i thought it was a gift, was apparently was wrong. Im not contesting really that I am going to pay him, but rather that i am being sued in Wisconsin, even though I havent lived there for 3 years or more, and I am expected to be in court to defend myself in just a couple of weeks, even though i live 5000 miles away in Hawaii. Am i really expected to fly back for that, or doesnt he have to file suit here in Hawaii. I thought thats how it worked. Can someone please straighten this out for me, and let me know what if anything that I have to do to contest this jurisdiction, can he sue me in Wisconsin just because he lives there now? Thank you so much for your help, i really have no idea where to go from here.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">