• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I get my money immediately?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stupidman

What is the name of your state? IL
I am a foreigner student studying in US. Last year, I met an girl who was going to enter an ivy college at that time. She had some financial troubles at that time. She lived by herself and her family could not provide her any help. She asked me for help and I loaned her a lot of money(roughly $20,000 since then). When she borrowed money from me, she said she would pay me back as soon as she got the inherit from her grandma. In this spring, She got the inherit, and I asked her many times to pay me back. She never returned any to me although she promised to pay me very soon many times. Now I am in an emergency situation and need a lot of money, but she still does not want to pay me back right now and tells me she would pay me after she finds a job after graduate. She also said if I sue her, she would lie in the court saying that she does not have any money, because she does not put the money in the bank account. I need the money in emergency, and do not want to wait for 3 or 4 years. So can anybody provide any suggestion what I should do if she really does this in court?

Thanks

SHORTY LONG

You could try to bring it to your Student Council. Given from what you posted,
you have no receipt, or written contract. Did you loan her cash, or write a
check to her? If you have some form of a legitimate receipt, you may have
some teeth to go after her, but if not, it will be an upheaval travel because,
it stems to your word against her word.

Lastly, I am somewhat surprised that you would lend that kind of money
to anyone without some form of Contract or Collateral.

stupidman

Thank you very much for replying. When I lended the money to her, I wrote some checks to her, helped her to pay her credit card bills, helped her to pay her rent, also including cash. I am ready to lose some part of it , and actually, I only ask 2/3 of it to be back right now for emergency. For her, she does not deny that she borrowed money from me, and she does not deny to pay me back either. But she wants to pay me back 3 or 4 years later even she has the money right now, or she postpones the date that she promises to pay me back again and again, while I am in emergency for the money right now.

I was too stupid to lend her so much money. Besides lending the money to her, I also helped her a lot with other things, which make her keep her scholarship and the admission to the college. In her words, I saved her life, and I had never thought that she would do this to me.

By the way, she is in a different college with me right now. If I bring this to the student council, should it be her college or mine?

You could try to bring it to your Student Council. Given from what you posted,
you have no receipt, or written contract. Did you loan her cash, or write a
check to her? If you have some form of a legitimate receipt, you may have
some teeth to go after her, but if not, it will be an upheaval travel because,
it stems to your word against her word.

Lastly, I am somewhat surprised that you would lend that kind of money
to anyone without some form of Contract or Collateral.

Dandy Don

You need to get some type of documentation (such as cancelled checks and copies of the credit card statements from the credit card company) to make your case stronger. This is a matter for small claims court (call the small claims court in your area to see what the financial limit for damages is--whether they would take a case for $20,000 or not--if they don't handle a case at that level, you may have to sue in civil court).

You may want to discuss this with an attorney first to see how strong of a case you have and what you will need to win your case in court--your attorney may have ideas on how to help you get the documentation you need. Don't waste your time trying to bring it before a student council as that would be a waste of time and they have no legal authority to force her to repay anything.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

SHORTY LONG

I ditto with what Dandy Don has shared after you answered the questions I raised.
In that, it would be a waste of time to bring to [her] Student Council....

Do not dilly doodle with this, take the advice given and move on it now.

stupidman

Thanks again for your advice. I will contact with the attorney very soon. The thing I am worrying is that she probably will claim in the court she doesnot have the money right now, and then I have to wait for a long time to get the money back, while I need it in emergency. But any way, that is better than get nothing back.

You need to get some type of documentation (such as cancelled checks and copies of the credit card statements from the credit card company) to make your case stronger. This is a matter for small claims court (call the small claims court in your area to see what the financial limit for damages is--whether they would take a case for $20,000 or not--if they don't handle a case at that level, you may have to sue in civil court).

You may want to discuss this with an attorney first to see how strong of a case you have and what you will need to win your case in court--your attorney may have ideas on how to help you get the documentation you need. Don't waste your time trying to bring it before a student council as that would be a waste of time and they have no legal authority to force her to repay anything.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Dandy Don

Your attorney will probably be able to find out her grandmother's name and go to the probate court to look at grandmother's will and the documentation in there will show how much she sent to her granddaughter, which you can use in court. Even if she has spent the money, if you win your case, there will be an official judgement recorded in court and on her credit bureau record, so that in case she starts working again or gets funds, your attorney has the right to file a claim against her bank account to start repaying you.

xylene

You have no case.

You gave a gold digger a large amount of gifts.

Sorry, when now you total up your gifts and realize you gave woman a fortune does not make it a loan.

When you pay a womans living expenses without a contract / loan paper / written agreement...

That's what we call "keeping" a woman.

Manipulative behavior doesn't make it a loan.

Unrealized sex doesn't make it a loan.

I strongly expect you will see ZERO recovery.

Dandy Don

The girl who conned a foreigner by getting money out of him and then refusing to pay him back--SHE is the manipulative one here.

xylene

The girl who conned a foreigner by getting money out of him and then refusing to pay him back--SHE is the manipulative one here.
Yes, that is what I am talking about. Her behavior does not make it a loan.

Absent any other proof here's what we have.

1) Woman flirts with man and is sexually suggestive.

2) Man lavishes attention, gifts and money on woman.

3) Woman flirts with man and is sexually suggestive.

4) Gifts... etc....

Repeat cycle until man realizes woman is gold digger.

The fact the man was a foreigner might have an impact on how many cycles it took to realize, then again maybe not.

Men do foolish things.

Women taking advantage of unrequited love not crime or civil tort.

The money is not a loan...

mike_lee

Yes, that is what I am talking about. Her behavior does not make it a loan.

Absent any other proof here's what we have.

1) Woman flirts with man and is sexually suggestive.

2) Man lavishes attention, gifts and money on woman.

3) Woman flirts with man and is sexually suggestive.

4) Gifts... etc**************
And that there is why I invested in a 30" LED computer monitor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">