• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Magnolia Audio Video Ungifting Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pinkythefloyd

What is the name of your state? Oregon (OR)

Yesterday a package was delivered from Magnolia Audio Video to my address but to a person who doesn't live here. I called the number on the box of the sender, explained what happened, and the guy said it would be cheaper for both me and him for me to just keep the package rather than sending it back to him and having him resend it to the correct address. I told him how large the box was thinking it was probably someone's christmas present and that they would want it, but the guy assured me it was not important and that I should keep it.

Reluctantly I took his box, and inside was a pair of speakers. Today while I was at work I got a call from someone else at Magnolia Audio Video telling me they may have delivered something to my house that was meant for someone else. When I returned their call and explained who I had talked to, they insisted that I could not possibly have called and been told that I should keep the package.

Now that I have the speakers, I like them. Is there any legal ground on my part to keep the speakers? If not, is there any legal ground to charge a storage fee, as it would be very inconvenient for me to act as their storagehouse.

fairisfair

What is the name of your state? Oregon (OR)

Yesterday a package was delivered from Magnolia Audio Video to my address but to a person who doesn't live here. I called the number on the box of the sender, explained what happened, and the guy said it would be cheaper for both me and him for me to just keep the package rather than sending it back to him and having him resend it to the correct address. I told him how large the box was thinking it was probably someone's christmas present and that they would want it, but the guy assured me it was not important and that I should keep it.

Reluctantly I took his box, and inside was a pair of speakers. Today while I was at work I got a call from someone else at Magnolia Audio Video telling me they may have delivered something to my house that was meant for someone else. When I returned their call and explained who I had talked to, they insisted that I could not possibly have called and been told that I should keep the package.

Now that I have the speakers, I like them. Is there any legal ground on my part to keep the speakers? If not, is there any legal ground to charge a storage fee, as it would be very inconvenient for me to act as their storagehouse.
They are not yours, and you should not be storing them becase you SHOULD NOT have taken them in the first place.

No, you have no legal grounds to keep them.

pinkythefloyd

I tried not to take them in the first place. When their delivery person left them at my house I called them immediately so they could take them back and they refused, insisting that I keep them.

fairisfair

I tried not to take them in the first place. When their delivery person left them at my house I called them immediately so they could take them back and they refused, insisting that I keep them.
whatever. It does not change the fact that by keeping them, you are stealing.

You obviously didn't try hard enough. Something like, No I am not accepting these take them back and shutting the door would have probably worked.

Or writing refused, not at this address,return to sender on the box and dropping it off at the post office.

pinkythefloyd

So I should have carried a 65 pound box to the post office because they wouldn't retrieve their own package? Should I inquire about being put on their payroll as a delivery person? I wasn't home when they left it at my house, someone else was visiting me and let them drop it off.

Didn't they become mine when they told me to keep it?

racer72

I would bet the person that told you that did not have the authority to do so. You can do nothing and wait till the police come knocking on your door. Or do the right thing.

fairisfair

So I should have carried a 65 pound box to the post office because they wouldn't retrieve their own package? Should I inquire about being put on their payroll as a delivery person? I wasn't home when they left it at my house, someone else was visiting me and let them drop it off.

No, it would have become yours when you bought it.

So it was too heavy to return, but not to heavy to move around, open, unpack and hook up huh???

pinkythefloyd

hmmmm

No, once he gave it to me, i would have had no problem doing work for myself, had i set it all up. What i do have a problem with is working for free. If he wanted to pay me to deliver it for him, that would be fine. The man tricked me into storing it for him. I really suspect some sort of a scam here, though i am not sure. Though this isn't really relevant, my house isn't 4 miles wide, such as the distance to the post office. I would like to say, i have absolutely no problem with returning it, that is why i called right away. I wanted it out of my house asap, but they chose to bestow it to me rather than arrange pick up, by doing so they are choosing to steal services that i might otherwise choose to sell.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This guy's a perfect candidate...

I'm sorry that you are not getting the answer you want to hear. Please type your desired answer, word for word, and I'll reply with that answer.

Thank you, and have a nice day!

pinkythefloyd

yea, i realize......and thank you for all the input, i think i am just going to seek legal counsel, and when they tell me what you all seem to think, i will return them. thank you.

pinkythefloyd

Though i may not have gotten the answer that i wanted, i did gain this little gem, I no longer need to pay for a storage shed, but rather i can find some sucker to sign for packages in my name that i send to his house. Then when i need to claim my goods i will arrive at his house with the police. Thanks for your time guys.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">