• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please HELP ME!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bremmerd

What is the name of your state? Hawaii
I am being sued in Wisconsin, buy an old friend who gave me money. He didnt live in Wisconsin at the time of the gift, but I did, I now live in Hawaii and he lives in Wisconsin. Can he sue me in wisconsin, even though I live 5000 miles away? Am I really supposed to be expected to show up for court? Can I challenge the Jurisdiction and if so how? the court date is the 18th and I have no idea what to do, please help me.

Dandy Don

How much money did he give you? Is there documented evidence (anything in writing) of how much you owe?

Do you truly owe the money or not? If you owe it it will be simpler to face up to your obligation and pay the judgement when it is rendered against you or it will go on your credit record. Changing the jurisdiction will not help you win the case.

bremmerd

he gave me $3000 and told me not to worry about it, but three years later made me sign a paper, i do owe the money, but i would rather him sue me in the proper venue, can he sue me in Wisconsin, doesnt it have to be my home state? And I have no money to pay the judgment anyway, i am a volunteer on a work trade so have no wages even if he does get a garnsihment, there is no money to get. But It should be hawaii right?

aceterp

If you recieved a subpoena to show up in court in Wisconsin, you should go there or call the court to arrange teleconference or some other sort of arrangement.

If you don't show up, there will likely be a judgement against you.

The fact that you signed a piece of paper, also probably means the judgement will be against you.

The fact that you don't currently live in wisconsin or work is irrelavent.

The contract "the piece of paper you signed" was made in the state of Wisconsin, so it makes sense that the issue be broguht to court in Wisconsin.

- as with all my posts... take with caution... its just conjecture... Don't make a decision based on it.. in fact don't even read it.... yawn..next question please..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">