• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmother's will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smbanks

My Grandmother died Nov.1,1999 and my aunt is the exsecutor
She say that I am not in the will and that she does't want to deal with it yet. However I'm not sure she is telling the truth and wonder if I am within my rights to try and obtain a copy or see the will and how do I do this?

A

advisor10

(01-27-2001)

So sorry about the loss of your grandmother, and this must be a somewhat emotional time for you as you grieve.

It might also be a difficult time for your aunt, as she has to deal with the burden of trying to handle everything (pay debts, process paperwork, taxes, etc.). So give her the benefit of the doubt and don't automatically become suspicious until she gives you a reason to be. If she has told you that you are not mentioned, then you must take her at her word until the will is produced. It might take a few months or more for her to accumulate all the assets and then pay the estate expenses, so she won't be able to distribute checks to beneficiaries until all that is done.

Ask her politely to furnish you with a copy of the will (as she also should be sending a copy to any other beneficiaries that were named in it), and that would verify if she is telling you the truth or not. It will become a public and record and you are properly within your legal rights to know what is in it.

You didn't say what state your grandmother died in, but you may want to warn the aunt that she could face some serious legal consequences if she does not file the will with the probate court at the county courthouse as soon as possible. Many places require that it be filed within 30 days after the person has died, so your aunt's excuse that she "doesn't want to deal with it yet" won't cut the mustard and might be a stalling tactic to try to prevent everyone else from knowing anything. You should check with the county courthouse to see if the will has been filed yet, and if not, then you should write the court a letter telling them about your aunt's reluctance to file, and they have the authority to contact her to properly advise her on what instructions to follow.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">