• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

in-law might die and there was no planning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fastadvice

What is the name of your state? Florida ...
my father in law is very sick and he is going into open heart surgery on Friday.
today he told us he didn't have any life insurance, savings, property, in plain English NOTHING.
if that doesnt make matters bad as it is he also mentioned that his home has 2 mortgages ...
my husband and i are both 25.
what can we do ... ... .... please help???:confused:

nextwife

You can wish him well in his surgery and make sure he is well attended to by you. And be certain to be at the hospital VERY early (five to six am, check with his doctors) to be certain to be there when his doctor makes rounds so you can ask any needed questions and know how it's going. Know what he's being prescribed,. arrange post hospital rehab and transportation for him , and so on.

That's what you can do.

Dandy Don

Ask him how much equity he has in the homes, how much the mortgage debt is outstanding, to determine whether he has enough equity in the home for his heirs to benefit if the home were to be sold (not very likely to have much equity, but it doesn't hurt to ask anyway, just to see).

If you all can't afford to assume the mortgages, you will just have to let the mortgages default and the lender will eventually reposess the homes through foreclosure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">