• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Liz710

What is the name of your state? Ohio

So My boyfriend and I moved in with his mother about 3mounths ago. Well after about a mounth she kicked us out. Now my question is When she kicked us out we had to leave all of our stuff. Because we had know where to move it. She said that was fine if we keep it there. Now that we have some where to put it she will not give it to us. And we have been trying to get our stuff for over a mounth know. We called the cops and everything. So what else can I do? Thank you for any help

dcatz

So what else can I do?
Send her a written demand, CRRR, to allow you to re-claim the "stuff" within X days and, if ignored,
File an action in Ohio SC for the value of your "stuff".
However, SC can't award more than $3,000, which you'll have to prove is the value of the "stuff", and SC can't order her to give back the "stuff". For that, you'll have to go to a higher court.

If you go the SC route and get a judgment, then you actually have to enforce it against Mom.

Bet the police told you it was a civil matter and left you to your own devices.

Those are them, but you could also try "self-help". Translation = go to Mom's place, knock politely and start loading up when the door opens - just don't break any laws, aside from her screaming "trespass".

You could also explain what you already omitted - there's a reason Mom is keeping the "stuff".

FlyingRon

Certified (mail) Return Receipt Requested.

Certified just shows you sent it.
The return receipt means that someone signed for it at the destination.

badapple40

You need to file in at least Municipal Court (Common Pleas court if the value of the goods in question is at least $15,000). You would file what is called an action for a writ of replevin (a court order ordering the Sheriff to seize the goods in question and turn them over to you).

Small claims court does not have jurisdiction over replevin actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">