• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confusion about Jurisdiction on Step parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rainb0wgr

What is the name of your state? Texas

My divorce and child support order was all filed and granted in Oklahoma (2002). With my new husband in Texas (resident for 2 yrs) I am in the process of step parent adoption for a minor and relinquishement of rights for the biodad (non-contested and will not appear). Can I file all this in Texas or does Oklahoma still have jurisdiction? If Oklahoma still has jurisdiction I am assuming I have to request a transfer, so is that transfer filed here in Texas or in Oklahoma?

Last edited:

pucker

I'm just going by what my lawyer has told me since I'm going through a step parent adoption. I thought I put at the end you should check with a lawyer to see what they say about the situation. Sorry somehow that part didn't get added tot he post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">