• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this discrimination? Is there anything we can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jit

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My friends and I (all 18 or older) went to a kitchen supply shop to buy isi whipped cream chargers (used for making whipped cream). We all have long hair and one might call us 'hippies' by the way we look. The store refused to sell the charges to us saying, 'We know what you want to use them for,' as whipped cream charges are filled with nitrus oxyide (laughing gas) and can be used for that reason. We told them time and time again, we are making a cake and need the charges for the whipped cream, essentally they said 'too bad'.

Is there anything we can do about this? What right do they have to turn away customers based on a prejudice?

You Are Guilty

What right do they have to turn away customers based on a prejudice?
Um, all of them? This is America, you know. They don't have to sell anyone anything if that's their choice. (Admittedly, that tends to be bad for business, but that's the beauty of the system.)

{edit}
PS: Cut your hair, you dirty hippy :p

Last edited:

Jit

Um, all of them? This is America, you know. They don't have to sell anyone anything if that's their choice. (Admittedly, that tends to be bad for business, but that's the beauty of the system.)

{edit}
PS: Cut your hair, you dirty hippy :p
Ya I figured that was probably the case. But yes, I do know this is America, that's why this is so upsetting (really its not very upsetting, just the principal of it all). A country who's motto is 'Land of the Free'. What's the world coming to when a hippie can't bake a cake! :p

Last edited:

VeronicaLodge

yes but the business owner is free too, he is free to sell what he wants to whom he wants. or not to.

you are free to bake a cake, just not with the thing you want form that particular store.

seniorjudge

Q: Is this discrimination?

A: Yes.

Q: Is there anything we can do?

A: No.

Q: What right do they have to turn away customers based on a prejudice?

A: They own the stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">