• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Smoking/Ticket Error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noctorum

What is the name of your state? Minnesota.

I was ticketed today for underage tobacco possession. I did not have an ID on me, and told the officers that my birthday was 2/27/89, although it is 2/27/90. Through some system that they would not reveal to me, they determined that it was 2/27/90, ignoring my objections, so I was cited for both false information (609.506) and underage tobacco possesion (609.685.3).

However, through an apparent error, the ticket states that my DOB is 2/27/89.

This raises two questions from me;

1. Does this error discredit the ticket, i.e. I have been cited for a crime that according to police information it was impossible for me to have done?

1. On another matter that I am not sure of, if I have not taken any oath and I was to lie to a court clerk, would that be construed as perjury in a MN juvenile court?

Thank you for a response,
-A

xylene

1. Does this error discredit the ticket, i.e. I have been cited for a crime that according to police information it was impossible for me to have done?
No. The error is trivial and was caused by you, not the officer.

1. On another matter that I am not sure of, if I have not taken any oath and I was to lie to a court clerk, would that be construed as perjury in a MN juvenile court?
It is potentially criminal and is NOT going to solve your problem.

seniorjudge

Q: On another matter that I am not sure of, if I have not taken any oath and I was to lie to a court clerk, would that be construed as perjury in a MN juvenile court?

A: It would help you if you decide to become a politician.

noctorum

No. The error is trivial and was caused by you, not the officer.
I did not write the ticket. The error is not trivial, if my DOB was indeed 2/27/89, not only would the ticket be invalid, I would not even be under juvenile court jurisdiction. He wrote the ticket under the pretense that I was born on 2/27/89, which would have made me 18 at the time of the offense, therefore there should not have been a ticket made for a status crime.

xylene

I did not write the ticket. The error is not trivial, if my DOB was indeed 2/27/89, not only would the ticket be invalid, I would not even be under juvenile court jurisdiction. He wrote the ticket under the pretense that I was born on 2/27/89, which would have made me 18 at the time of the offense, therefore there should not have been a ticket made for a status crime.
Stop playing 17 year old lawyer.

YOU ARE 17. Ok.

You FALSELY stated your birthday as 1989!!!

Its not the officers mistake.

It is your lie.

No way that your lie invalidates the ticket. None.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok, when you go to court, make sure to argue that you shouldn't have gotten the ticket in the first place since the officer wrote down '89. The judge will ask "were you born in '89?" and you will answer "no, I was born in '90" and the judge will say "then the ticket IS correct".

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I can see the adultcentrism that I witnessed in other posts in the forum was not an aberrant occurrence, but apparently systematic.

Thank you all for your time regardless.

-A
Look everyone, Bobby got a dictionary for Christmas! :rolleyes:

noctorum

I had hoped the post would fade, but I can see that it has not. Can a moderator please close this post?

-A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">