• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What did I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? PA

Good evening, I noticed my 2006 W-2, reads: Wages, tips, other compensation is $25,408.91,. When I filed my 1040, line 7 of Wages, salaries, tips, etc., states: $33,530. I e-filed on TurboTax & had to attach my W-2, which I did from the 1 job I have. I claimed my nephew & had some deductions. My refund was $1,209. Why are the amounts different? What did I do wrong? Do I owe Uncle Sam that money? Thanks in advance.:eek:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? PA

Good evening, I noticed my 2006 W-2, reads: Wages, tips, other compensation is $25,408.91,. When I filed my 1040, line 7 of Wages, salaries, tips, etc., states: $33,530. I e-filed on TurboTax & had to attach my W-2, which I did from the 1 job I have. I claimed my nephew & had some deductions. My refund was $1,209. Why are the amounts different? What did I do wrong? Do I owe Uncle Sam that money? Thanks in advance.:eek:
Did you have just one W2? A second W2 could explain the discrepancy.

What you need to do is take your printed copy of your tax return, and all other paperwork (including W2s, 1099s, and anything else you used) and go get a consult with a local tax professional.

Why do you think that you owe Uncle Sam any money? Did you get a letter from the IRS? Since it appears that you may have mistated your income, its possible that the IRS owes you money rather than the reverse. If that is the case, you will need to amend your 2006 return....and you REALLY need a tax pro for that.

I hope that your nephew lived with you for more than six months of the year or that you can otherwise prove that you provided more than 50% of your nephew's support.

efflandt

Line 7 of 1040 is a figure that you provide. You tell us why you put a different amount on that line than shown on your W-2.

Did you include unreported tips or other income? Do you contribute to an employer sponsored retirement plan [401(k), etc.] and accidentally filled in gross wages, instead of net wages after deductable contributions?

Maybe you are due additional refund. If the IRS owes you money, you have up to 3 years after normal filing date to amend your return with a 1040X (until April 2010 for 2006 taxes). But if you owe tax, they have much longer to collect tax, interest, and penalties from you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">