• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Early termination of membership contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EricBaenen

What is the name of your state? Ohio

During the past couple of years my wife has been taking classes at a nearby martial arts school. This summer she signed a 24 month contract for $3300+ for classes - please also understand that my wife is basically completely fiscally incompetent. Two months into the contract she stopped going to class - it's been three months since that with paying class fees for nothing so I contacted the school to see if there was a buy out of the contract for early termination. I was told that to break or end the membership contract I had to pay out the full price of the contract... so I can either pay the full amount now or continue paying the monthly fee for the next 19 months - no difference in $. I was further told that when others had tried to get out of their membership contract the school simply hands it over to a collection agency. My question is - is it legal for them to have a contract like this where they lock you in and the only way out is to pay off the full value immediately? At least the cell phone companies let you out with a $200-$400 early termination fee.

LeeHarveyBlotto

It's perfectly legal to have a contract with no early termination provision.

That said, I would actually read the contract as opposed to going by what the school tells you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">