• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2007 income taxes-What can I do???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gramdma

ohio- I have been on social security disability(medicaid) for the past two years due to being hit by a car. I have a daughter now and also have interest that I have paid on a student loan which I should be able to deduct. Problem is that I have paid no taxes for the past two years. How can I calim my child as a dependent and deduct my school loan interest from my returns (both federal and state):confused: if I haven`t paid any. Can I go back and claim it later after I go to work or what?

abezon

Without income, you can't deduct anything. You might look into an income contingent repayment plan for your student loans, since you're on disability. That should reduce your loan payments.

You didn't say how old your daughter is. If she's a child, you could "sell" her dependency exemption to her father. Since he would benefit by up to $1800, he should be willing to shell out some cash to get you to sign an 8332. Note: don't give him an 8332 for a promise of cash; make him pay first.

You could also talk to a tax pro about your other options.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">