• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annuity/child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeff D

California:

Okay... Here's my situation folks. I have an annuity that was created by my union (I'm no longer a member of) that has been growing since 1997. I am now self employed in a new career and need to withdraw the entire annuity (about $25,000) in order to buy desperately needed equipment.
My concern is that 15 years ago I discovered I had a child when Child Support Services informed me that I owe them $20,000 in back support. That's a long story in itself. I admit that I have not been perfect in making my payments, however I have done pretty well with the exception of the last 4 months.

Question #1) Child Support Services automatically report delinquency to the California Franchise Tax Board. I don't know if this has happened yet, but if so...
Can the California Franchise (or federal) Tax Board absorb my entire annuity when I try to withdraw?

Question #2) How can I check to see if I have a negative standing with the Tax Board?

For the past 5 years I have worked diligently to position myself properly for this moment. If I can withdraw this annuity I can not only continue to make my child support payments, but I can have my back support payed off within a year. Otherwise, I will be forced to return to my old line of work that offers no chance for advancement and I will continue to live in debt. In other words, it's do or die.

Thank you in advance for any insight/advice you can provide.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California:

Okay... Here's my situation folks. I have an annuity that was created by my union (I'm no longer a member of) that has been growing since 1997. I am now self employed in a new career and need to withdraw the entire annuity (about $25,000) in order to buy desperately needed equipment.
My concern is that 15 years ago I discovered I had a child when Child Support Services informed me that I owe them $20,000 in back support. That's a long story in itself. I admit that I have not been perfect in making my payments, however I have done pretty well with the exception of the last 4 months.

Question #1) Child Support Services automatically report delinquency to the California Franchise Tax Board. I don't know if this has happened yet, but if so...
Can the California Franchise (or federal) Tax Board absorb my entire annuity when I try to withdraw?

Question #2) How can I check to see if I have a negative standing with the Tax Board?

For the past 5 years I have worked diligently to position myself properly for this moment. If I can withdraw this annuity I can not only continue to make my child support payments, but I can have my back support payed off within a year. Otherwise, I will be forced to return to my old line of work that offers no chance for advancement and I will continue to live in debt. In other words, it's do or die.

Thank you in advance for any insight/advice you can provide.
Option 3: Withdraw the annuity to pay your debt.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Certainly an option and valuable advice. However, with my option I will also be able to send my daughter to college.
That is speculation. You want to invest in a business opportunity, as opposed to paying your current debt.

abezon

Well, first, be aware that a $25,000 annuity is subject to income taxes & penalties. Expect to lose at least 15% in penalties, plus whatever your federal & state marginal tax rates turn out to be. If you're in the 15% tax bracket federal & 8% California, you'll lose 38% of your distribution to the government. Mandatory withholding means you probably have 25-30% deducted before you get any money.

If it's an option, you might consider rolling the pension fund into an IRA, then converting to a Roth IRA, then withdrawing money. This may let you avoid penalties. It's a lot more headache, though.

So, first, I'd recommend you see if you can find any of the needed equipment used or available for rent/lease. Second, you might look for a business loan to finance the equipment. The interest on the loan is deductible as a business expense, & you don't get smacked with early withdrawal penalties. It may easily be cheaper to borrow the money you need.

You can call the CA FTB & ask if they show any outstanding debt in their records. Same for IRS. They won't take your pension for back support, however; they will take any refund for back support. (If you don't have a refund, this is not a problem.)

You can also maybe renegotiate your back support with a lump sum settlement amount, or request a reduction in support due to changed income levels.

Talk to your local tax pro (& get one if you don't already have one) about your options & the short & long term implications of each. If you need a tax pro, look for an enrolled agent with lots of small business experience. You need advice tailored to your business that's more sophistocated then QuickBooks can provide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">