• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amclear

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am being sued by my ex boyfreind and I really don't know what I should do. The papers said he was sueing me for Personal Prorerty that was not returned after our break up and said that it was worth $3,750.00. He did not list any of the property and I do not want to contact him because our break up was not a good one.

Here is the backround, hope it is not too long;

We started dating in NY where I am from and he was going to school. He joined the Coast Guard reserves and decided to take a position which would station him in Texas. He took the position and moved down to Texas. We have been dating for over a year and a half and he asked me to move with him. I said I would make the move and it was agreed that he would help me until I got things in order. I was unable to live with him because at the time he had government houseing that was paid for him. So I moved in with a freind of his who he knew in the Coast Guard who did not have government housing. When I moved in he bought me a bedroom set that in total cost $2750.00 I have the receipt and prove that it was sent to my address. He did pay for my rent and my bills while living in this house. After 5 months I moved out of that apartment and into a house with other freinds. He ended up breaking up with me after we were dating for 2.5 years, I asked him if I could start to take over the payments for the bedroom set and he told me no. He started to harass me telling me I needed to give him his stuff back and what not. I believe he was doing all of this because he left me to go out with a freind of mine. I finally gave in and said fine I will give you the stuff back. We had an agreement for him to pick up the bedroom set. At the last minute I had a job interview in NY and would not be in Tx when the ex was coming. I called him with 3 days notice and asked him if we could change the date to the following weekend because I was going out of town. He agreed and said for me to call him when I get back in town. In the begining of the week one of my roomates moved out without telling anymore and instead of leaving her key because she had no personal property left in the house, she gave the key to my ex. Well when he thought no one was going to be home (which was the day before we first agreed to) he came in the house and tried to take the things he felt was his. The cops where called but by the time they arrived he was gone, and they said becasue he had a key it was not breaking and entering. He did not take anything because my roommates made him leave everything.

This was in July, and I was served papers yesterday. I have been told by a few people that everything he gave me was a gift? And then I was also told because the ex is still paying for the funature (it was a 18 months no interest plan and he bought it in 11/06) that it is hard to prove it was a gift. I have an email that he sent me telling me he doesn't want the bedroom set back he just wants to stop paying for it. I offered more than once to take the payments over and he refused. Another problem is all of this was a verbal agreement so I really have no proof.

Also how am i suppoed to deny anything when I was not told what he is really sueing me for? Again all he said was personal property and the monatary amount.

What should I do?:confused:

Thanks for any help and sorry this is so long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">