• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heir/Next of Kin question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpar98

I had a great uncle who passed away back in 1972 in New York City. He had 3 daughters who have also since passed away. My father is being contacted by people who believe he is the next of kin. I dont know if the daughters had children or not, no one in my family knows, a shame, I know. How can I find out who is the legally acknowledged heir to his estate?

Dandy Don

Your father is being contacted by whom for what reason? Do they have information about some funds payable to the estate of one of the daughters or to the estate of the great uncle?

I can do the research for you (through databases with nationwide access) or you can contact a local genealogist (for a fee of a few hundred dollars) in your city or in the city where the daughters or great uncle died. If you want to do some checking on your own, if you know the names of the great uncle and his daughters and the approximate date of their deaths (the year), you can contact the county courthouse probate to ask if each party had a probate file. If there is, the file will show the names and addresses of any heirs/beneficiaries and you could then use that information to see if anyone lives at the same address presently.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">