• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Room Mate Payments taxable??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueman

What is the name of your state? MN

Hi,
If I have a share-room-mate in my principal residence (which I own), are the room-mate payments considered taxable income?? I assume so but just want to double check.

Thanks .... Blueman

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? MN

Hi,
If I have a share-room-mate in my principal residence (which I own), are the room-mate payments considered taxable income?? I assume so but just want to double check.

Thanks .... Blueman
Since you own the home, yes, I would characterize it as taxable income. However, it depends a great deal on how things are structured. If he is paying 1/2 of the utilities, which would logically be his own responsibility, that really isn't "rent". If he is paying for 1/2 of the groceries, which again, would be his expense, it really isn't rent. Rent is what he pays for the right to occupy specific space.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">