• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aamco won't give car back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pokey17

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My mother-in-law took her van to Aamco two months ago for a new transmission. The owner agreed to charge her $1000 cash down and monthly payments after that, but nothing was ever signed except for a paper saying "$1000 paid" and his initials. The car was not finished after a few weeks, so she called and they said they had swithced managers and owners and were behind. She got another call about two weeks ago saying that they had put the wrong transmission in and would need to wait a week for the right one. She got a call last night from the mechanic who fixed it saying she could pick it up and that he would be there until 5pm. My husband took her to go pick up the van in our truck and they got there at 4:45. The man who had called her to pick up the truck was gone and the guy who was there would not give her the van. He said he had to have someone authroize it, but he was the only one there, for some reason. She kept telling him that she had paid and was told to pick it up, so he needed to give it back to her. They still will not give it back today, even though they have a paper saying she has paid on it. What can she do to just get her van back? She has had our truck for two months, but I can't imagine what else she would be going through if she had been renting a vehicle this whole time. Thanks.

justalayman

why does it sound like she didn;t actually pay for the repair? You state she agreed to make payments after the initial $1000 payment.

If there is a balance due, I would expect the party at the garage to do exactly what they did.

Have you contacted the manager since that point? What are they telling her as to why they won;t give it back?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">