• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Updating will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

voyagerprouty

What is the name of your state? TX
My grandpa's will needs to be updated to receive unclaimed property. Where can I do it? We don't live anywhere near where the will was made or where he died. Can we update it where we live or do we have to travel? Also, how would we go about the process?

anteater

What is the name of your state? TX
My grandpa's will needs to be updated to receive unclaimed property. Where can I do it? We don't live anywhere near where the will was made or where he died. Can we update it where we live or do we have to travel? Also, how would we go about the process?
If grandpa is deceased, you can't update his will.

Do you, perhaps, mean how do you re-open probate?

lwpat

Probate will have to be reopened in the county where he resided assuming that his estate was probated. If not you will have to open one. Call the probate court, they can tell you how to start the procedure but cannot give you any legal advice.

Dandy Don

Are you saying that there is unclaimed property in his name that needs to be claimed by heirs? How much is it worth? You may have to hire an attorney to do this if there is no relative or family member in the area willing to do it--it is a relatively simple procedure to file to become administrator at the county courthouse and soon after filing, the administrator will receive a document called letters testamentary, and it is a certified copy of that document that the administrator needs to present to the unclaimed property office.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

justalayman

it may be a simple procedure to file to be admin but depending upon the dispersal of the estate, it may not be so simple to figure out what to do with the property.

So, let's start from the beginning.

has the estate and will already been probated? If so, the administrator of the estate will need to file to reopen the estate so the unclaimed property can be ditributed as legally required.

If the estate has not been probated, then read up on probating estates in Texas. Depending on the size of the estate. most states offer a simple form of probate (haven't researched Texas for one).

So, depending on what has already happened, or not, and what the value of the estate is, your direction will vary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">