• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automobile Repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gizbrutus

On the advice of a mechanic, I purchase and had install a new fuel pump which the mechanic which had given the advice had inspected the car and diagnosis the sympton as being the need for a new fuel pump. This mechanic replace the fuel pump and charged me $150 for the work. The pump did not work, it was not the problem. Subsequently I had to take the car in to another shop and the problem was my ignition switch. Upon arriving at the shop, both me and the mechanic that had previously replace the pump was present. I informed the shop owner that the cost of this repair was to be paid by the mechanic that had misdiagnois my car. I have spent a total of $477 for repairs. The cost of what was really wrong with my car was only $151. Can I sue the first Mechanic and get a complete refund for the unnecessary work that was done?

racer72

Did you sign a work order before the repairs were started? If you did, read the small print either on the bottom or back. Probably states that the mechanic making the diagnosis believe the repair will fix your car but cannot be held liable if it doesn't. I use to run an auto repair facility and what happened to you does happen. Being a nice guy, I use to cut some slack in the labor and try to give the customer some piece of mind that even though we changed a part that may not have been defective, you now have a new one so that will be one less thing to worry about in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">