• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kharley

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I have a question, My husband dont really own any property we rent where we live so all we have are our personal things. My husband has 5 children and they have all made plans to just come in and take what we do have, my question is can they do that or when my husband dies dont every thing go to me. I will be honest we cant afford to pay an attorney to draw up just a simple will, I am disabled and we live paycheck to paycheck, Thank you.

lwpat

If he dies without a will, you are entitled to one half of his property. If you purchased the items together then one half is yours and one half is his so his children only get one fourth (half of his half). You can find sample will forms free online that probably meet your needs. All he has to do is sign and have two independent witnesses sign in his presence.

kharley

I have looked for some of these wills but they have wording in them neither one of us understand, so we are at a loss here. We dont know how to word it to write it our selfs i'm sorry but we are not very smart I dont guess when it comes to stuff like this. Maybe you can point us in the right direction as to where to find the simplest will, Thank you.

kharley

I have one more question if we make our own will with one of those forms does it have to be notarized to be legal or do we just need the witnesses, Thank you.

Rnay

(Please excuse me:eek:, I'm not a lawyer but I have done a lot of research and done some legal proceedings Pro Se. Pro Se means myself--without a lawyer).

Do you have a trusted friend or relative who can help you? Making a will is simple but making one that conforms with what your state requires is critical. What you want is the resulting will to meet your state's standards.

Some good news. If you have an account at a bank, at least one of the tellers or managers is likely a Notary. If you have banked there a while, there's a really good chance they won't charge you for just notarizing a will. More good news: You should ask around because you could likely get an attorney to help you quite inexpensively. If your will is simple, they could charge as little as 10-15 dollars. (What's in it for them? They will hope to build a long term legal relationship and maybe make some money down the road. And I'm pretty sure that lawyers are ethically obligated to do some work for free or reduced cost as a profession.)

Alo, if you plan to leave the kids anything, the will can include a statement that if any of them contests it, they lose anything you left them. You can include all the kids, some or none. If you don't plan to leave them anything or just include some, your will needs to name them (all your living children) and say right out which ones inherit nothing. If it looks like you forgot them accidentally, they can contest it more easily.

Good luck.

nextwife

If he dies without a will, you are entitled to one half of his property. If you purchased the items together then one half is yours and one half is his so his children only get one fourth (half of his half). You can find sample will forms free online that probably meet your needs. All he has to do is sign and have two independent witnesses sign in his presence.

And whatever you BROUGHT to the marriage is YOURS. Document it because YOUR premarital belongings need not be in his will, but he certainly can NOTE that X items were NEVER his.

Do you keep any seperate accounts? You should. Have your disablity deposited into YOUR account, then use it as needed for the household.

nextwife

And whatever you BROUGHT to the marriage is YOURS. Document it because YOUR premarital belongings need not be in his will, but he certainly can NOTE that X items were NEVER his.

Do you keep any seperate accounts? You should. Have your disablity deposited into YOUR account, then use it as needed for the household. But DO keep your own money seperate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">