• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Doba.com - Charging me after I cancelled.. HELP PLEASE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mummala

I recently signed up for a free 7-day trial membership to a drop-shipping company. I had done plenty of research (or so I thought) and only saw positive reviews and feed back. When registering they ask for name, address, cc #, etc. I would not have given this information if I had not researched and I felt safe doing it. A few days after signing up I received a call from a representative from the company offering me the opportunity to sign up for the annual membership at a discounted price of $295.00. I told the man that I was not sure that I could do that because I did not have the budget for that at the moment. He then stated that I had until Friday (12/7/07) to decide and if I did not want to go along with it, I would have to cancel my free trial membership before that date and if I did not cancel, my CC would be charged on Friday. I went home that day (12/4/07) and went on the website and found the page where I could cancel. I went through the process and received an e-mail with a confirmation number. I went to the bank today and had a negative balance. (Like I stated, I did not have the money to pay for this right now). I checked my statement and I had been charged $299.00 from Doba (the company). While it is still a pending transaction, I still do not believe I should have been charged. I read through the policies and everything and it states that you cannot receive a refund if you cancel your membership, however, I cancelled while I was still on my 7 day free trial.

It states:
Annual Subscription Payment Terms.
Annual subscriptions require a one-year commitment and full payment up front to qualify for an equivalent reduced monthly rate. Annual accounts cancelled prior to the end of the subscription period are terminated beginning on the next Billing Cycle Date for the account and you will not be entitled to a prorated refund of any payments; as a result, the first year of service cannot be canceled. See Annual Subscription Cancellation below for more information.

Annual subscription payments are processed on the next Billing Cycle Date when an account is converted from a monthly to an annual subscription. When the subscription is about to expire, you will be notified of the subscription at the annual subscription renewal rate offered at that time.

Annual Subscription Cancellation.
Annual account subscriptions will expire beginning on the next Billing Cycle Date for the account and you will not be entitled to a prorated refund of any payments. Annual subscriptions require a one-year commitment to qualify for reduced rates.
You can also go to http://www.doba.com/popup/site/fees.html for all of the other information. I just want to know if I will be able to get my money back if the transaction goes through. I really thought I had done enough research (2+ hours), but I guess I was wrong. At the same time, I feel that because I cancelled the free trial membership 3 days before it ended (3 days before I was supposed to be charged) I should not have been charged any money at all. Am I wrong here?What is the name of your state?

I also still have the confirmation e-mail stating that I cancelled the account and it has the cancellation number. I made sure to keep it just in case something like this happened, and sure enough, it did!!:mad:

Last edited:

RuGa

Cancellation...

There have been many "internet" companies which various States Attorneys have chased for this type of predatory action.
If this is from a debit card, go to your bank and have them reverse the charge (as it is fraudulent). Take hard-copies of both the online agreement and the e-mail with you.
I would also contact your States Attorney and file a complaint for fraudulent business practices...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">