• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State sales tax lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DanoRoo

What is the name of your state? Texas

In January 2006 I started a small business which went belly-up about 18 months later.
I didn`t file for a sales & use tax permit until autumn of 2006. Within a few weeks after I applied for the sales tax number, I received filing forms and an estimated tax bill of $1,200 from the state comptrollers office. I ignored the repeated requests for payment until eventually in August of 2007 a tax agent left a note on the door of my home (I own my home) telling me to contact them immediately. I didn`t. In November 2007 I received a letter from the state comptroller office stating that a lien had been placed on all my property. What will happen if I continue to ignore the requests for payment, and can the state put my house up for sale? Thanks for all responses.

abezon

That's exactly what will happen. Get you head out of your *ss & file the returns. You'll probably find that you owe way less than $1200, even with penalties & interest.

LdiJ

That's exactly what will happen. Get you head out of your *ss & file the returns. You'll probably find that you owe way less than $1200, even with penalties & interest.
I am going to disagree with that slightly...they probably can't put your home up for sale, but if and when you decide to sell, or need to refinance, or need a home equity loan, or even want a car loan or a credit card, that lien is going to cause you considerable grief.

I agree with the bolded part of Abezon's response. Just do it and get yourself on a payment plan if you can't pay it off. Burying your head in the sand is simply stupid.

DanoRoo

Thanks for the valuable information guys. I have a meeting to set up a payment plan tomorrow! Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">