• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consignor delays providing boat title resulting in damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

specko

I purchased a boat from a dealership on consignment. The dealer let me take the boat that day for a test drive at my cottage and later on I dropped off a cheque to purchase the boat.

The dealership then promised to transfer ownership of boat and trailer into my name and provide title as soon as possible. Before this was done I could not drive the boat in the water or on the road since there was no license plate, insurance or vehicle license in my name

2 1/5 months later the transfer was finally done but in this time, water froze in the engine and caused damage.

Since I could not legally drive the boat for service this damage occured.. Who's responsible?

ps: The dealer forged my signature with my knowing on the title.
pps: THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I purchased a boat from a dealership on consignment. The dealer let me take the boat that day for a test drive at my cottage and later on I dropped off a cheque to purchase the boat.

The dealership then promised to transfer ownership of boat and trailer into my name and provide title as soon as possible. Before this was done I could not drive the boat in the water or on the road since there was no license plate, insurance or vehicle license in my name

2 1/5 months later the transfer was finally done but in this time, water froze in the engine and caused damage.

Since I could not legally drive the boat for service this damage occured.. Who's responsible?

ps: The dealer forged my signature with my knowing on the title.
pps: THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!!!!
You are responsible for your failure to perform required maintenance/upkeep on your own property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">