• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have title... Do I owe?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quazzie

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I used a credit card check to pay off my truck. Then Company A sent me the free-and-clear signed title, a thank you note for using their services, the contract stamped "PAID", and a refund check for overpayment of $24 and some change.

It turns out there were insufficient funds on the card to cover the payoff (I used the wrong card:eek:), and Company B-- the credit card company-- would not honor the check to Company A.

My question is this: Since Company A screwed up and sent all the paperwork stating that the vehicle is paid for and now mine, free and clear, before they waited to see if the credit card check cleared, am I still obligated to pay Company A? Even if I have the signed title, the contract stamped "PAID", and a refund check?

The truck was purchased in Virginia, but I now live in Tennessee, if that matters.

Many thanks in advance !What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

quazzie

Thanks for the quick reply!

I think I should clarify something, if nothing else, to ease my own mind.

I'm not giggling in the corner thinking I'm getting over on Company A. I don't try to screw anybody over, ever. I just thought it odd that they would send me all the papers saying I owed them nothing more, then 2 weeks later they send a bill, saying I'm a month behind on my payment.

Just curious if, after their mistake, am I still legally obligated?

Thanks again.

justalayman

Just curious if, after their mistake, am I still legally obligated?
yes you are since you did not pay them.

The gave you a receipt based upon them recieving the funds YOU promised them by writing that check.

So, any idea what kind of trouble you can get into for issuing a bad check? They are simply going to ask for their money presuming it was an innocent mistake. Should you take any action that might show the deception was intentional, then they just might let the courts prove that it was accidental rather than attempting to defraud them.

So, if I walk into a store and pay for $500 worth of merchandise and pay by check and the check bounces, do I still have to pay them. After all, they did give me a reciept stating I paid them, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">