• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security and Credit Fraud?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JSARV

What is the name of your state? IL

My girlfriend bought a product from a very large corporation was talked into financing through them, credit was ran and was offered 0% financing for the first year and 4% after that. The oddest thing is they asked for a reference and she gave them My name and phone number. When we got our first bill, my name was put on the account with her Social Security number and my phone number and 30% interest.

I have made over 150 phone calls 10 emails 2 letters and the corp. will not fix this. How can they use my name with her social security number? Is that social security fraud and credit fraud? There is more too it but I would rather make it a private discussion rather than a public discussion.

Basically they did not make a mistake or they would have fixed it. I have been told for the past 8 months tough Sh$t pay it off and get over it by this company, and I feel that both of us have been violated in many ways, not to include the stress of paying 30% interest that I cannot afford as a 22 year old. What should I do? I have already filed with the Illinois Attorney general, but this company is ignoring their attempts to contact them as well!

Should I pursue legal action?

Jerod

Hot Topic

The mistake began with your girlfriend who allowed the company to talk her into financing the purchase without getting a second opinion. Why did she need to finance it to begin with?

They didn't want a "reference." They wanted someone to be accountable if your girlfriend didn't make the payments. In this case, the someone turned out to be you.

Why have you continued to use the product? Why didn't you return it by certified mail, return receipt requested? Even if they hadn't accepted it, it would have gone back to you to hold on to as proof that you didn't want the item under the altered terms and tried to return it.

JSARV

The mistake began with your girlfriend who allowed the company to talk her into financing the purchase without getting a second opinion. Why did she need to finance it to begin with?

They didn't want a "reference." They wanted someone to be accountable if your girlfriend didn't make the payments. In this case, the someone turned out to be you.

Why have you continued to use the product? Why didn't you return it by certified mail, return receipt requested? Even if they hadn't accepted it, it would have gone back to you to hold on to as proof that you didn't want the item under the altered terms and tried to return it.
She chose to do so because they offered 0% financing for 12 months and 4% there on after. I did not give ANY consent for my name to be used in any way! We tried returning it after receiving our first statement, but was told that when financing the product could not be returned and compensation would only be a small percentage of what we payed for it.

No worries the Illinois Attorney General is handling it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">