• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving into parents house - how to compensate sibling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caslerst

What is the name of your state? CA

Here is my situation: My Mother-In-Law (MIL) no longer wants to live in her house (too big, FIL passed away 8 months ago). My wife and I want to move in and it's okay with MIL.

The problem: My Sister-In-Law:) How do we compensate her? She is not getting her inheritance now but when my MIL passes (she's only 58), she and my wife are the only benificiaries. Should we buy a house, let my MIL live in it and when she passes my SIL gets that house?

The house (My MIL is leaving) is worth $550-600k. My wife and I do okay but we could not afford to buy the house at market price and we don't want to buy it at a discounted price because of capital gains if we sell it in 20 years.

Is there a standard way to handle a situation like this?What is the name of your state?

curb1

You should be paying the market rate of rent. Anything else is not fair for your sister in law (or mother in law), if it is your desire to be fair. Otherwise, the fair thing would be for mother in law to just sell the house and get something she would like.

divgradcurl

Whatever agreement you come to, make sure your lawyer has everyone sign it.
Agreed. It might be best just to rent from MIL, and then let the house pass to the two sisters in probate, then you can figure out if you want to buy out the sister's interest. That may MIL can afford to rent or buy another place, and sister's interest is protected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">