• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leased Auto Registration Renewal Notification MIA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? MARYLAND

Hi again gang,

I was pulled over this morning for driving on an expired vehicle registration. I used to lease for 2-years and forgot that I had switched to 3. That was a $280 error.

What bothers me is that I never received a registration renewal notice from the Maryland MVA. Since I have always received them in the past, I wondered why I didn't this time. So, I asked the CSR at the MVA about it. I knew that my lease registration had my name but is sent to the address of the title company ("Vault", a subsidiary of GMACFS in Hunt Valley, MD) and she said that "this happens all the time. When you lease, you need to mark it on the calendar since these companies never forward the renewal notifications."

While I will certainly always do this in the future, is it not the responsibility of the title company to forward me the renewal notification? Or even return it to sender since I don't "live" at their address?

Thanks!

ADDENDUM: I have now found out that the MVA was supposed to send the registration to me at home so they may be in error.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is your responsibility to make sure your vehicle is properly registered.

Zigner...
I never said it wasn't my responsibility. That was not my question. I wanted to know if it is Vault's responsibility to forward the form to me?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Zigner...
I never said it wasn't my responsibility. That was not my question. I wanted to know if it is Vault's responsibility to forward the form to me?
The point is moot. "I asked the CSR at the MVA about it. ... and she said that "this happens all the time. When you lease, you need to mark it on the calendar since these companies never forward the renewal notifications.""

racer72

Vehicle registration notices are a courtesy for the citizens of the state. It is still the your responsibility to ensure their vehicle is propery licensed. I checked with the Maryland DMV site and a renewal notice is not required to renew the license, just your soon to expire current registration will do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">