• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

girlfriends mother taking back laptop gift

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pharcyth

My girlfriend is moving in with me this next upcoming week. I live in hawaii and she lives in texas. During this past year her mother got her a laptop as a gift, she was 17 at the time. Now she is 18, and planned to take all her possesions, as well as her laptop, because it was a gift to her she assumed it was hers. When her parents found out about her wanting to move out they flipped out, and said she cant take the laptop because her mom is the one who bought it. She is 18 now, so is it hers? She is the only one who uses it and all her stuff (music, videos, homework, pictures etc) are on it, she says she is just going to take it when she leaves, and she is afraid her mom might call the police and say "she stole it". What is the proper way to handle this or would it be too much of a hassle?

BL

My girlfriend is moving in with me this next upcoming week. I live in hawaii and she lives in texas. During this past year her mother got her a laptop as a gift, she was 17 at the time. Now she is 18, and planned to take all her possesions, as well as her laptop, because it was a gift to her she assumed it was hers. When her parents found out about her wanting to move out they flipped out, and said she cant take the laptop because her mom is the one who bought it. She is 18 now, so is it hers? She is the only one who uses it and all her stuff (music, videos, homework, pictures etc) are on it, she says she is just going to take it when she leaves, and she is afraid her mom might call the police and say "she stole it". What is the proper way to handle this or would it be too much of a hassle?
Legally if the mother can prove she bought it , the police won't allow her to take it .

Legally if the mother can prove she bought it , she could file a police report if it's already been taken .

This is not a good way to go .

What's the story behind her daughter moving in with you ?

pharcyth

Legally if the mother can prove she bought it , the police won't allow her to take it .

Legally if the mother can prove she bought it , she could file a police report if it's already been taken .

This is not a good way to go .

What's the story behind her daughter moving in with you ?

Well, because her mother is so controlling, and theres a long history of abuse, physically and mentally, since she's 18 now she wants to get out, so we've got a place together and she's moving here with me in hawaii next week, both her parents are against it, but since she's 18 now they dont have a say, she is also worried that her parents might keep her sscard, birth certificate, and passport from her, but i KNOW that's illegal for them to do, anyways the laptop was a graduation gift or something when she graduated this past year, her mom bought a new laptop and gave her the old one, she was 17 when it was given to her, dunno if that makes a difference since she was a minor, she said she'll just take it because she said "it's mine"; wasnt sure on this matter, cause then it would make sense her parents could just not let her take anything she didnt buy herself, like clothes, jewlery, etc. and they could file a report for that as well, which i wouldnt be surprised if they did that

Last edited:

Just Blue

Well, because her mother is so controlling, and theres a long history of abuse, physically and mentally, since she's 18 now she wants to get out, so we've got a place together and she's moving here with me in hawaii next week, both her parents are against it, but since she's 18 now they dont have a say, she is also worried that her parents might keep her sscard, birth certificate, and passport from her, but i KNOW that's illegal for them to do, anyways the laptop was a graduation gift or something when she graduated this past year, her mom bought a new laptop and gave her the old one, she was 17 when it was given to her, dunno if that makes a difference since she was a minor, she said she'll just take it because she said "it's mine"; wasnt sure on this matter, cause then it would make sense her parents could just not let her take anything she didnt buy herself, like clothes, jewlery, etc. and they could file a report for that as well, which i wouldnt be surprised if they did that
Guess what sweetie?? The SS card, BC and Passport...They are Mom's property. Princess can go and get her own...'cause she an adult now. :rolleyes:

Silverplum

If your gf wants to *be independent,* then she should begin acting independently.

For instance, she should be searching out her own answers, taking care of her own business. ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Guess what sweetie?? The SS card, BC and Passport...They are Mom's property. Princess can go and get her own...'cause she an adult now. :rolleyes:
I agree on the BC - but the SS Card and the Passport definitely "belong" to the child. They are issued to the child, but held in trust by the parents.

BL

Well, because her mother is so controlling, and theres a long history of abuse, physically and mentally, since she's 18 now she wants to get out, so we've got a place together and she's moving here with me in hawaii next week, both her parents are against it, but since she's 18 now they dont have a say,
I don't suppose this is an Internet BF/GF thing is it .

Oh the teen thing " My Parents " " My Mom " " My Dad " , it's so terrible my mom gave me a laptop for graduating , now I'm going miles away from them .

They can't be all that terrible , if they care enough what's going on with her .

Perhaps mom feels your taking her daughter from her , through the back door .

Before playing grown up house , think in the long term what you're doing .

Hawaii , how nice that sounds .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">