• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New car warranty issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theco

What is the name of your state? Florida

Greetings,

On December 23, 2003, I bought a Jetta GLI with a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. This car has been nothing but problems and it has been in the shop quite a number of times. I took it in a few days ago for 2 botched repairs that had been done a couple of months ago. The service representative called me and told me that while running my VIN number in order to see if there were any recalls, she was notified by the computer that my car was out of warranty. I told her it was impossible, that I bought car on Dec 23 and it only had 34,000 miles on it. She told me the dealership put the car "in service" as a "demo" and that the warranty expired in November. My questions are: What do I need to show them that I bought a new car and what the period of my warranty is? If the dealer did in fact sell me a "demo" when I thought I was buying a brand new and did not disclose this, is that illegal?

I would like to know so I can formulate my plan for negotiation with the dealer.

Thank you for your input.

Eric

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Florida

Greetings,

On December 23, 2003, I bought a Jetta GLI with a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. This car has been nothing but problems and it has been in the shop quite a number of times. I took it in a few days ago for 2 botched repairs that had been done a couple of months ago. The service representative called me and told me that while running my VIN number in order to see if there were any recalls, she was notified by the computer that my car was out of warranty. I told her it was impossible, that I bought car on Dec 23 and it only had 34,000 miles on it. She told me the dealership put the car "in service" as a "demo" and that the warranty expired in November. My questions are: What do I need to show them that I bought a new car and what the period of my warranty is? If the dealer did in fact sell me a "demo" when I thought I was buying a brand new and did not disclose this, is that illegal?

I would like to know so I can formulate my plan for negotiation with the dealer.

Thank you for your input.

Eric
You have your purchase paperwork, right? It should all be in there...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">