• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealership ruined my car. Please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

c1and

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I took my car to a local dealer so they could put my new tires on. They noticed I had some underdrive pulleys in the back and asked what I was planning on doing with them. I told them I was going to install them with a friend later. They offered to install them for $30. I have all the paperwork and receipt. When I went to get my car, they managed to put a tire on backwards. They apologized and said they were severly short staffed that day. I came back and got the car later. About a week later my engine basically fell apart while I was driving 45mph. I took it to a reputable shop and without me mentioning the pulleys, they said they were installed wrong. The dealer used the wrong crankshaft bolt which pushed my harmonic balancer off and made my engine self destruct. The shop even has the wrong bolt that says DO NOT USE on it.

I'm planning to sue in small claims for the $5000 max because they cost me over $6000 for the new engine I had to buy + labor, and I heard it's easier for me if I stick to small claims.

Can anyone help me with any tips with this? I found the online form for small claims suits but I just don't want to do anything wrong or have it get dismissed on a technicality.
What would I sue for exactly?
Is this breach of contract?

ALSO, A new owner bought the dealership since this happened. Do I sue the new owners or the ones that broke my car? Do the new owners assume all liabilities?

Thanks!

Andy0192

What did the dealership say when you called them a week after the car had been in their shop & it "blew up" due to their supposed poor workmanship?

I'm curious how the wrong bolt can say "Do not use" ? Who wrote do not use on the bolt? Can you prove it was THAT bolt which was used, and it came off your car? Can you prove the "Do not use" bolt was installed by the dealership?

-Andy

c1and

What did the dealership say when you called them a week after the car had been in their shop & it "blew up" due to their supposed poor workmanship?

I'm curious how the wrong bolt can say "Do not use" ? Who wrote do not use on the bolt? Can you prove it was THAT bolt which was used, and it came off your car? Can you prove the "Do not use" bolt was installed by the dealership?

-Andy

I'm not sure if you're trying to come off the way you are, but I feel like you're talking to me like I'm a total moron or something.

The dealership said they didn't believe someone would make that big of a mistake. I said heh, kinda like putting a directional tire on backwards? The guy said I can't prove anything and that he remembered my tire incident and that it was fixed. I tried to contact him a few more times and he was "never there" of course and now I'm wanting to just sue them like everyone involved in the car business is telling me I'll have to do.

The bolt says DO NOT USE on a big sticker on it from the manufacturer because it's an installation/starter bolt. It's longer than the real bolt so when left in, everything won't fit together correctly (harmonic balancer.) I have proof that the wrong one was used because it was sticking half way out of my ruined engine. I would think that would be good enough. There is no reason that bolt has ever been touched, as that part was all stock when I brought it to them and I know the original stock bolt was in place. I probably even have pictures of my engine bay where you can see it.

Last edited:

Andy0192

Not trying to make you look like a moron, just asking questions that would help to clarify your case.

Your explanation of the "do not use" on the installation bolt now makes perfect sense to me.

-Andy

Andy0192

Do you have any advice or know if I sue the old or new owners?
I'm not a lawyer, and you're going to have to wait for one to respond to give you some answers you can count on. Your case is a little complicated, and in my opinion, might be difficult to prove. The more evidence you can provide, through pictures, dated receipts, and similar factual evidence will help your case.

-Andy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">