• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-Signed Loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SpeedRacer

What is the name of your state? Idaho

I co-signed a loan for my ex-girlfriend 3 years ago when we still dated. She stopped paying the loan and now the credit union wants me to pay them. But she has a job and makes decent money and the loan is in her name. All I did was co-sign because her credit was not good enough by herself. Can they make me pay and not her? I thought they had to make her pay and I was just a backup.

BoredAtty

Did you guarantee collection or payment? If it's the former, then they have to go after the ex first. If it's the latter, then they can go after you immediately. As tranquility stated, in any case, you can seek reimbursement from the ex yourself.

Andy0192

Check your loan documents. Chances are - you are listed as "co-buyer". That's probably a more accurate description than co-signer.

Most people feel that co-signing a loan is just saying that you're vouching for the other person's credit. In reality, you are guaranteeing the loan, and you are just as responsible to make the payments as the other person.

Hopefully, you got copies of what you signed. Time to read those documents. If you don't have copies, ask the credit union for them. They might charge a fee, but at least you will know what you agreed to back then.

-Andy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">