• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I find this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SpoiledSoldier

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

Well Illinois is where it all takes place, but I live in Tennessee now. I am in the US Army and am currently in Iraq. Just after I got back from my last deployment to Iraq I found out from my Mother that my Father had forged my name to some documents to transfer about 40K of investments from a college fund for me to joint mutual fund accounts between himself
and I. I knew there were funds, land, bonds....in my name all my life. When I asked him about this and how taxes were being filed for it, he lied to me. So I contacted the Financial Institution. I gained full control of the assets. Now I am trying to find if there are more investments, land, bonds.... that have my name on them in anyway shape or form and how to gain control of those. My mother knows that at one point that there were assets in my name totaling to over 1 Million Dollars. Can anyone help?

Dandy Don

Talk to a business law attorney about this. A private investigator could assist you in the search for assets but it might cost a few thousand dollars. Do you think that the original sources of these assets were funds that were left to you through probate, such as an inheritance, or would that not necessarily be the case?

Do you plan to pursue legal action against your father for his wrongdoing? Ask your business law attorney whether you would be able to get access to your father's state and/or federal income tax records for clues about financial transactions--I'm not sure whether this could be done with or without filing a lawsuit against him, but your attorney will have suggestions about how you should proceed.

If you are talking about savings bonds, you can contact the Treasury Department to have that searcg done (do a GOOGLE search on the term savings bonds and you will find contact information for the Treasury Department). As far as land records go, your county probably has that information online.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

SpoiledSoldier

Pursuit

Yeah, not really trying to legally pursue my father. Though him and I do not see eye to eye, I have a wonderful relationship with my grandparents. See, my grandfather is wealthy and started investments in my name as a young child. He named my father as the custodian. I don't want to upset my grandpa by asking about the money and stuff.
Grandpa is still alive. The money that I did get was suppose to be mine at the age of 21. I turned 21 in Iraq last deployment and 3 months later he forged my name to move the assests as I last said. I will google that info and check with the county.
I wish that there were a way to just search my name and find all the stuff. I can't afford a PI. I am in the military. I don't even make 5k a month right now and I'm deployed.
I appreciate your help and if you can think of anything else please let me know.

Dandy Don

I think you could be making a mistake by deciding not to talk to your grandfather about this--he certainly has all of the knowledge about what he set aside for you and if his son is dishonest he needs to know about it. As long as you are ignorant about what actually happened, you are going to be in limbo and won't know how much was stolen from you or not.

At least have a consultation with a business law attorney (first consultation is usually free or very inexpensive and some will probably charge you nothing since you are a vet) to find out what your options will be to get the information you need (find out how easy or difficult it would be to get access to the tax information) and attorney will also have other ideas about how to trace the information you want.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">