• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sueing out of state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdub01

What is the name of your state? CA

Here's my problem...I live in CA and I hired a DJ to for my wedding. I paid him in full upfront and he and I both signed a contract. Then he moved to Texas with no warning and he won't pay me back my money. I have a copy of the check cashed and a copy of the contract.

My question is how can I serve him a subpoena in another state? Can I mail it to him(certified)? And do I sue him in CA since that is where the contract was made and also broken or do I sue in TX? Thanks

dcatz

I’m sorry to tell you that you sue him in TX, and that may answer all of your other questions too.

With a bit more information, there may be an argument for suing him in a higher court in CA, but you won’t be able to use Small Claims. That means more cost, and it would still give you a judgment that you had to domesticate in TX to enforce, which adds even more cost.

So you sue him in TX, which is a very debtor-friendly state. Getting your judgment is likely to be a good deal easier than collecting. If your claim is close to the jurisdictional limits of $7,500 in CA, you might just want to hire a TX attorney on a contingent basis and let the attorney do the work. If it’s considerably lower, you’re likely to find that you’re throwing good money after bad, whatever you do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">